Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Oric

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:15 am

Okay, I followed your instructions, and I ran Setup.js, and the config exe, and I made sure the paths are set up correctly for the roms, but I still get the exact same error.

Also, the aspect ratio is still stretched out. I watched a video on youtube of the intro to the game "Space:1999", and it is obvious that my screen is being stretched, as the moon in the youtube video is round, and mine is oval, as is all the faces. I even tried setiing my monitor to a 4:3 aspect ratio, and it still isn't right. I tried 1280x1024, and 1280x960. I usually run it at its native 1680x1050. Normally, I don't have any problems with aspect ratios. Euphoric is set to screen mode X, but I even tried it in the other mode, and it was even worse. Any other ideas?
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

i can only suggest you try and edit the EUPHORIC.INI file.
------------------

MonochromeVGA=No

;; This option allows you to select a mode (Q) with a pixel aspect that is closer to the real thing
;; (Oric pixels are a bit flat). This is only true if you have a CRT monitor: AFAIK, LCD pixels are always square.
;; X is a default mode (320x240 unchained VGA mode) that should always work
;; Try VGAMode=Q (256x256 chained VGA mode) with next option ScanLines=Yes, and see if it works on your monitor.

VGAMode=X

;; If Mode Q works on your monitor, you might wish to get an even better screen aspect, with less 'boxy' pixels.
;; VGA monitors use an horizontal frequency that is about two times the one used on Oric monitors, and thus vertical
;; resolution is doubled. With the default value of this option (ScanLines=Yes), each line is displayed twice.
;; If you select ScanLines=No, each line will be displayed only once and there will be a small gap between the lines.
;; As a result, you will get pixels that have a more natural shape, but beware that this is not accepted by all monitors.

ScanLines=Yes

;; This option allows to tweak the VGA frequencies in Mode Q
;; Try 0,1,2 or 3 if you have display problems, 0 is the normal value.
;; I'm not sure it has a drastic effect, though...
---------------------

i can't help you any further with this sorry.
maybe "Atmosfairy" (the new version of Euphoric)
will get a public release.
oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:26 am

Thanks for offering some suggestions, but I'm giving up on this one. After I installed the newer versions, I noticed my fonts immediately afterwards have become very difficult to read. I haven't installed anything else, so I'm assuming it was Euphoric, since it also wiped out my icons immediately after installing. I had to use TweakUI to repair my icons, but now I can't seem to fix my fonts, so text looks horrible now, even with cleartype enabled. Also, I couldn't even find Euphoric in my add/remove programs list to unistall it. So figuring I've got nothing to lose now, I tried reinstalling it again, and then copying the newer version over just like before. Now, hitting setup.js gives me another error message that it cannot find the specified file. So I'm giving up on the Oric for now. Too bad it won't seem to run on Mess either.
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:33 am

oknihcap wrote:I'm giving up on the Oric for now. Too bad it won't seem to run on Mess either.
I do also have problems with the Emulator "Euohoric".....

But for me it works well on Mess: Oric 1
1. When starting the Game on GameBase, you'll get the
"Mess: Oric 1 - Window"

2. Now Type the Words : cload"" in the Screen and press Enter.
(German-Keyboard for the " = shift+ä)

3.The Game/Tape is loading now ! Wait some Time
(you can set the Maximum speed to Unlimited while the Tape is loading)

4.When finshed loading, the Game runs automatically.

---------------------------------------------------------------
An AutoIt-Script for the Mess-Emu (similar to the Philips VG 5000 - Script) would be a nice Idea :wink:

So you don't have to type anything.
GB done: Philips VG 5000, Sord-M5, Acorn Atom, Enterprise v1.00
oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Okay, I'll give that a try, Vicman. Except I need to re-download the Oricmania gamebase again, and now zshare won't let me. I did the other day, but now, I hit download, and then after the countdown, I click "download now", and it just takes me back to the first download button again, and then another countdown, in an endless loop. I've tried it on 3 browsers now. What's with zshare? It worked the other day, now it doesn't.
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:36 pm

oknihcap wrote:Okay, I'll give that a try, Vicman. Except I need to re-download the Oricmania gamebase again, and now zshare won't let me. I did the other day, but now, I hit download, and then after the countdown, I click "download now", and it just takes me back to the first download button again, and then another countdown, in an endless loop. I've tried it on 3 browsers now. What's with zshare? It worked the other day, now it doesn't.
I've uploaded "my" OricGB to megaupload.
please try it.

EDIT:
look Hardmanm's post
Last edited by Vicman on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 pm

Now being uploaded onto www.underground-gamer.com
Gamebase Developer
oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:17 am

Thanks for posting to Megaupload, Vicman. Finally, I've got some success running some of the games using MESS. The aspect ratio seems ok too. Now, the only problem is, some games seem to want to run in Euphoric - they automatically start in Euphoric, even though MESS is at the top of the GEMUS list. And I've had no luck with Euphoric at all. Will some games only run in Euphoric, or should they all run in MESS? I really appreciate all the help here.
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:17 pm

oknihcap wrote:some games seem to want to run in Euphoric - they automatically start in Euphoric, even though MESS is at the top of the GEMUS list.
Wich Game for Example ?
I've tried the Games from Letter : 0,A and B and all are automatically starting with MESS Oric 1.....

Maybe you need the "MESS Atmos" for this Games
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15207#15207
oknihcap
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, I've been trying to play Space:1999. That one seems to want to start up in Euphoric.
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:50 pm

I think, the reason is, that Space:1999 is a Disk-image (*.dsk), not a Tape-Image.
So it do not work on MESS Oric 1 (it seems it works only with *.tap)
Now I've tried the MESS Atmos, but i couldn't find out yet, how to start a Disk-file....
For Tape it's : cload"" , but for Disks ?
Maybe .mad. or Hardmanm has some idea ?
I'll try a little bit more.....
srnickolas

Tue May 18, 2010 5:26 pm

I found a cool emulator that has command line support for the oric systems: oricutron.It can run cassette and disks.Since euphoric doesn't seem to start on my windows7 64bit installation(worked fine under wxpsp3) maybe oricutron could substitute it.I have no luck with mess, it seems it loads forever when i type the cload command and i never see the game screen(though i havent try it with all the games).I tried oricutron with some tapes and runs fine, better than euphoric.A gemus script for oricutron would be great as the default emulator for oricmania! :)
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed May 19, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks for the tip, i will hunt it down and try to do a script for it.
Gamebase Developer
JonathonSaunders
Keen Member
Keen Member

RE:

Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 am

;********************************
;* Oricutron GEMUS Script *
;* 18 May 2010 *
;********************************
;
; PLEASE SET YOUR EMULATOR PROPERTIES AS FOLLOWS:
;
; Emulator File: ORICUTRON.EXE
; Associated Script File (1): Oricutron.txt
; Use Short Filenames: YES
; File Types: TAP;DSK
; (Compressed File Types: GZ;Z;BZ2;ZIP;TAR;TZG;ZOO)
;
; This script was written for Oricutron 0.5,
; but may work with other versions too.
;
;

Add_CLP(-m atmos )

If GameType CONTAINS(tap)
Add_CLP(-t%gamepathfile%)
End If

If GameType CONTAINS(Dsk)
Add_CLP(-d%gamepathfile%)
End If

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([4]run{enter}||50)
JonathonSaunders
Keen Member
Keen Member

RE:

Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

This script works with Oric Gamebase

Enjoy :)

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”