Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Gamebase TI 99/4A

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi Dax, MESS 150 is comprehensively better than 140 but you should still have both versions in this GB as there is issues with a couple of things like Geneve support, everything should be there to run both versions, all that will change on your side are the paths to emulators and games etc.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:08 pm

I've probably replaced .ini files and that is why v150 stopped working from GB (paths of course proper). I will replace originals and compare all files. Tnx :)
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 pm

I have lags in steering in game Parsec. I use keyboard (no physical joystick). What is the best configuration to control MESS or Classic99 to play Parsec comfortable?
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:36 am

I think Parsec is naturally just a slow laggy controlled game, I personally prefer a real controller to keyboard which can be setup from MESS by pressing ScrLk then Tab.
ti
ti_doogie

Looking for a TI99 BASIC Game! CRAZY CAVER? COSMIC CAVER?

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:36 am

Hello all, maybe someone here can help. I'm looking for a very hard to find game I used to play on the TI-99/4a. I thought it was called "Cosmic Caver", but I found a game called "Crazy Caver" which was linked to a screen shot that I remember as Cosmic Caver. So, I found and downloaded disk images from two sites with the "Crazy Caver" game. One site associates the game with a screen shot of the vertical scrolling game I remember along with an accurate description:

CRAZY CAVER
TI BASIC
from PS Software

Guide your caving machine into the depths.
Refuel (you need to!) and pick up points by hitting targets with your laser.
DON'T bump into a target or the cavern walls!
GBP 6.00

OKAY, but the game on the disk image, which is also called "Crazy Caver" is some sort of goofy looking dude running horizontally through a cavern and jumping over rocks or that roll his way.

In my recollection, the game I'm looking for should be called "Cosmic Caver(n)" which seems to fit the description above much better. Im not sure if web linking is allowed here, but google on "Crazy Caver" TI-99 and one of the first image hits is the screen shot for the game I'm actually looking for. It seems like an archiving mixup has left this game nearly impossible to find :cry:

Anyone else remember this game? Do you remember it as "Cosmic Caver(n)" like I do? Even though cavern seems to make more sense - I think it was the more unusual "Caver" that sticks in my mind. I'd love to find this game or know anyone else who is also looking, so that if I do end up finding it, I can share it with others.

Thanks in advance!
ti
ti_doogie

Crazy Caver Game Cont...

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 am

I just stumbled across a text link which helped me find a magazine scan archive from 1984 that describes the "Crazy Caver" game and, while it does not show a screen shot. The concept artwork depicts a caveman. So i think I'm onto something when I think that the other screenshot associated with Crazy Caver is matched to the wrong game. name....
ti
ti_doogie

Re: Crazy Caver Game Cont...

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:47 am

ti_doogie wrote:I just stumbled across a text link which helped me find a magazine scan archive from 1984 that describes the "Crazy Caver" game and, while it does not show a screen shot. The concept artwork depicts a caveman. So i think I'm onto something when I think that the other screenshot associated with Crazy Caver is matched to the wrong game. name....
and more evidence:

CRAZY CAVER £6.95

You are the Crazy Caver and must
face a myriad of hazards. Run,
jump, swing on stalagmites, dodge
leap over pits, arrows and balls of
fire. Superb graphics and
animation. A game you can't stop
playing.

from the same magazine a month later.

This confirms, the game I'm looking for is NOT named "Crazy Caver". I still think it had the unusual term Caver vs Cavern, though. Maybe I'll have a little more luck searching for Cosmic Caver, now that I've eliminated the red herring...
ti
ti_doogie

COSMIC CAVER is the game I'm looking for

Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:53 am

OK I just ran across a scanned newsletter type user group monthly and confirmed that there existed a game called "Cosmic Caver". Now I just need to find the actual game. It's actually written in straight BASIC, not even XB! But it appears to maybe have been a small semi-commercial program as opposed to a type-it-in listing. Any help locating this would be great! Thanks!
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:21 am

Just to confirm, is this the game you are looking for.

http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/stainless11.htm
ti
ti_doogie

Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:28 pm

.mad. wrote:Just to confirm, is this the game you are looking for.

Hello,

Yes. That is the game I'm looking for! Unfortunately, the site where that picture came from has it titled "Crazy Caver" which is the game on the disk image linked on that site. But it's the wrong game. I've confirmed that the game I'm looking for is indeed called "Cosmic Caver" and was made by a company called "CompuTech Distributing". It appears to have only come on cassette, but someone over the years may have saved it on a disk image somewhere. It's pretty impressive for a straight BASIC game. It used the vertical scrolling command to allow for reasonable graphics performance...
Disc Master I

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:16 am

Hi.

Is there a working link to the latest version of this Gamebase?

Thanks,
John
Disc Master I
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Disc Master I wrote:Hi.

Is there a working link to the latest version of this Gamebase?

Thanks,
John
Bit of a late reply but, yes here is the link - http://tigameshelf.net/GameBase.zip
brolly

Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Quick question, how was the publisher field filled in for this Gamebase?

I'm seeing over 2,000 entries with the publisher name Texas Instruments, am I right all assuming all games that didn't have a known publisher got added as Texas Instruments?

Because I don't think they published so many games.

I was trying to split commercial releases from magazine/homebrew stuff and due to this doesn't seem to be a way of doing it for most of them.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:49 pm

brolly wrote:Quick question, how was the publisher field filled in for this Gamebase?

I'm seeing over 2,000 entries with the publisher name Texas Instruments, am I right all assuming all games that didn't have a known publisher got added as Texas Instruments?

Because I don't think they published so many games.

I was trying to split commercial releases from magazine/homebrew stuff and due to this doesn't seem to be a way of doing it for most of them.
Anything that was "unknown" was tagged as "Texas Instruments", blame .MAD. he was the DBM :wink:

Incidently I've just ordered a usb drive enclosure so that I can rip my Gamebase drive out of my old PC and connect it up to my super duper windows 10 tablet PC, when I get it sorted I'm going to be uploading the final version of GB TI99-4A as it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the net.

PS. Hi .MAD. how's the whippet?
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:15 am

Hi OX,
nice to see you back.

I have a list of original releases with serial numbers.
If anyone wants to volunteer to add all the data.

HELLO...

where did everyone go?. :D

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”