Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Beware of Spanish Gamebase thieves

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Beware of Spanish Gamebase thieves

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:35 pm

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA ... juegos-_JM

This item is listed on Spanish Ebay, I'd like to find the w*nker that compiled and listed this item and serve them a dish of whoopass, how dare someone make profit from the endless hours of hard work us gamebasers have put in.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:08 pm

I'm not angry for him now. Post edited ;)
Last edited by dax on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:11 pm

If they want to charge for the CD/DVD & postage, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it, but outright profiting is wrong. String 'em up and do what you will.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:31 am

Thanks for this info, OX

It's really a shame what some people do :evil:

We should make own "compiled" DVD's from our GameBases and offer them for free.
(or for a small donation to Jimbo's HP)

We just need someone who can compile/put the GameBases to DVD with installer option etc....

So, everyone can use/enjoy our project from DVD's for free.
And the Guy on ebay will lost his money. (maybe....
or he/she will steal our "GB-DVD's" and sell them on ebay, too :x )

Fact is:
People who are fans of old games,emulators, etc. , know the
GameBase projects (or similar Frontends).
They would never pay for this.....

On the other hand :
I like the idea to have our Gamebases on compiled DVD's :roll:

Yes, let us make our own 8)

What do you think ?
GB done: Philips VG 5000, Sord-M5, Acorn Atom, Enterprise v1.00
sut
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:35 am

I think something should be done, like creating private section for "special" (deserved) members, who can see links. Let admins decide, but for now I'll NOT post links in public.
Although I understand the outrage, making the Gamebases not accessible to the masses will only exhaberate the issue. If new comers can't come and get them for free, then someone will provide them at a cost. A better response would be spread the word that they are provided free by hobbyist's and there is no need to pay.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:20 pm

sut wrote: Although I understand the outrage, making the Gamebases not accessible to the masses will only exhaberate the issue. If new comers can't come and get them for free, then someone will provide them at a cost. A better response would be spread the word that they are provided free by hobbyist's and there is no need to pay.
Totally agree with Sut on this one.
make them all public area downloads, free for everyone.

maybe someone can make a ebay page for FREE gamebase collections, with links pointing to this site.

also there is a REPORT button on the site.
i suggest we all click on it. :lol:

"Denuncair"
"Es una falsificación, copia o grabación del original."
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:46 pm

.mad. wrote: also there is a REPORT button on the site.
i suggest we all click on it. :lol:

"Denuncair"
"Es una falsificación, copia o grabación del original."
Yes, i did it :wink: (Soy invitado -> report as guest)

And i agree to sut & .mad.
make your GB's free for everyone !

I've also post a comment on his you tube video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... W6UxV85XDs#!
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:52 pm

The bad Guy has just delete his videos on you tube....
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:33 am

I agree that the Ebay guy was definately in the wrong, but just as a hypothetical question:

If someone actually wanted to purchase a CD/DVD of a gamebase ( or gamebases) because they had a poor bandwidth or crappy IP service, would anybody here be willing to make a CD/DVD for them? And if so, would you charge for just the CD/DVD and postage?

Personally, I would do it for a few people with only gamebase(s) I created, so long as it did not become the 'ordinary' protocol for distribution.

Just some food for thought.
millansoft
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:45 am

That´s wrong, but piracy can´t be stopped, just ask to the music bands about it for example, anyway I think that all this, is just a waste of time, nobody of us has the copyright about these stuff
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:42 pm

pondo198 wrote:I agree that the Ebay guy was definately in the wrong, but just as a hypothetical question:

If someone actually wanted to purchase a CD/DVD of a gamebase ( or gamebases) because they had a poor bandwidth or crappy IP service, would anybody here be willing to make a CD/DVD for them? And if so, would you charge for just the CD/DVD and postage?
Yes, i have done on several occasions.
and didn't even charge for postage if local.

i don't object to someone selling gamebases, but the 30 euro price was way too high.

if anyone wants to make DVDs and sell Gamebase collections, i think £1 per CD/DVD plus postage is about fair.

we all make Gamebases for fun not profit.
ViejaEra

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi guys,

I did those DVD, all of you are overreacting, I can explain why:

To start, the price isn't in euro, in Argentina we use Argentine Peso, in that currency the conversion to Euro means, 4,50/5 euros, it just covers the costs of doing it here (DVD disc+Box+Cover Print+DVD print+Site sales fee).

At first I just wanted to have a collection in DVDs with an easy installer and I realized that people that owned those wonderful machines, wanted too (I owned myself a 48k ZX-Spectrum and had a Microhobby collection, the spanish speccy magazine), can't or don't know how, download all of this and make it work.
I just take the time to offer it with a really low price and doing a lot of artwork to make it nice and fixing a lot of issues that I found. But I'm not able to upload all this, it's about 100GB.
If all you think that doing this I'm really getting money, you're wrong, it just took me a lot of time to compile it and make it work in almost any Windows machine, but I can't buy DVD discs, boxes, etc for everyone.

I'm sorry if someone feels outraged but this isn't the case, I'm just spreading it to people that want to remember that old times.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Thank you for contacting the forum.

Having read your explanation the price I can appreciate the difference in cost now and see (once I do my own calculation) that its not a money making exercise BUT you fail to see one issue.

The people here in this forum and others have sat and used the wonder database from Jimbo to make wonderful databases that have taken months or years in some cases and there's not a mention of either party or asked the permission of either person.

The outward impression to gamebase creators is that its all an agreed item.

You know it may have taken you some time to make the installer scripts and some time to burn these DVD's but the time and effort by Jimbo and the very kind makers of the gamebases outweighs any time you have used many times over.

These people just want to make sure no one is making a profit of any size from their work, on the other hand if they see someone just making sure the gamebases get to hard to reach people at cost of work preparing them and postage then I would imagine most would have no issue.

I myself have not made a Gamebase but I am lucky to be friends with many who do and I appreciate their hard work, I think they would appreciate their work getting to others as long as its fair but that is just my view point .

I am not representing the gamebase people in any way shape or form, this is purely how I would feel if it was a gamebase I had made.

Again thank you for bothering to come to the forum, that actually says an awful lot about you and its good to see.

There may be a happy ending yet?
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Here's the point VeijaEra - even if you had permission from us gamebase compilers you still could'nt package and distribute them as a commercial product as none of us own the rights to the actual roms and other content, you say your doing this for a nominal fee but the reality is you should'nt re-sell it for any price and there's nothing to stop other people re-selling your efforts at higher prices and then this place becomes a target for legal proceedings which nobody wants as it would mean the end of gamebase.

Like has already been said on here I don't mind people copying disks for friends and charging simply for cost price of disk and postage but what you've done is re-package the gamebases, changed content and made them look like your own.
ViejaEra

Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for understanding that I'm not making money with this, that was my main concern when I saw the posts because I really like the gamebases. At first as I said I did those just for me and a few of friends. I'm just offering it locally and only few people bought it but I'm happy about it because thanks to it, I know and had nice chats with people that really like 80's computer.

About the concern of reselling this kind of things from others, nothing can be done, just a few of the site (can't post URLs):

MLA-430379573-zx-spectrum-sinclair-2068-todos-los-juegos-para-jugar-en-pc-_JM

MLA-431094484-hyperspin-2012-arcade-mame-neogeo-n64-sega-para-instalar-_JM

MLA-433599871-juegos-arcade-mame-hyperspin-2012-nuevo-_JM

Look at the prices to see the difference, they offer it because from here is a bit complex for everyone to download them and these guys (people who bought, told me), they just download&burn and many times doesnt work what they are offering and doesn't have a clue about what they're selling. Mercado Libre doesn't care about them, because those products aren't offered locally and they give to the site some money because of the sales fee.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”