Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

TOSEC (ADF) or CAPS (IPF)

Discuss the Commodore Amiga database that uses the GameBase Frontend.

Moderator: Jimbo

Runey
Keen Member
Keen Member

TOSEC (ADF) or CAPS (IPF)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:53 am

The questions of whether it's best to use ADF files from the TOSEC set which are widely available or IPF files used by CAPS (Classic Amiga Preservation Society) has come up.

Intially I had planned to use IPF's as they are the purest form of disk image around at the moment. Which particularly appeals to me. However they can be hard to come by.

Then I thought ADF's would be best as at least they are easy to find.

Well I think I've decided on a compromise / solution that should work well.

I will use a script that will detect which format is available for a particular game and use that. If both formats are available it will use a default format chosen by the user.

Please leat me know what you think or if you have any other ideas.
Paul Thompson
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Hi Runey

I suugest you use the best possible version for each game. The problem with the CAPS collection is that copy protection is still in place, the game Monkey Island, for example, uses a codewheel other games need the original manual from the game so you can type a word in to start a game. I know many users have typed in the manuals for games and made them available on the net, but how are complete, how many with page numbers, do they conatin all the text and manual formatting?

Probably the way to go is to use the CAPS IPF images only if the game has no protection otherwise use a cracked ADF version!

Nice logo by the way :D

All the very best
Runey
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:48 am

oops :oops: I didn't make myself clear. Yes only the best available version available from both TOSEC and CAPS will be used. GameBaseAMY will then detect which is available. If both are then it will default to the users preference of file type.

Thanks Paul. I'm no artist :D but it will do until the project is more mature

There is more discussion on this at http://eab.abime.net if anyone is interested

Return to “Commodore Amiga - GameBase Amiga”