Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

No highscores saved when using Gamebase frontend

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Robotron 2084

No highscores saved when using Gamebase frontend

Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:14 am

I noticed that games which have built-in highscore savers don't save the scores when I start them from the GB frontend.
I use CCS with the frontend, so CCS will ask whether to save the changed data back to the image when i quit the game.
Naturally I choose "yes" to save my highscores.
But when I restart the game later using GB the scores are nowhere to be seen.

All this does not (!) happen when I don't use the frontend (scores are properly saved and reloaded).

Any guesses why this is so???
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:29 am

2 things to ensure if you want to save high scores

1. Click on Options, Select the Game/Screenshots Tab and enable Game Re-Zipping. I think this is likely your problem.

2. Make sure all the games files reside on your Hard Drive, if you are running direct from CD then you can't save your high scores. This will only be your problem if you are an idiot :lol:
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
Robotron 2084

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:47 pm

All my images reside on my hard drive in unzipped form, so toggling the re-zip option didn't do any good for me.

I noticed one thing though: the filename of the "changed" image is not displayed when quitting a game (by pressing F9 in CCS)
that's been started using the GB frontend.

So I expect the frontend to override some information (namely the image name) that CCS would need to properly save back the changed image data. How comes?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:55 am

What game specifically doesn't work, and what is the filename and path? There is a known issue with CCS64 and long filenames that may be affecting you.
-J2010C-
Robotron 2084

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:00 pm

Absolutely ANY game with a highscore or save game feature.

For instance "Alleykat" by Remember ("ALLEYKAT+3HI/REM")
which is located on my "c:\C64\games" which shouldn't be too long a path for CCS to work out.

I can RUN all games perfectly with the GB frontend but data changes will only be processed when I start the files directly from the explorer window using QUICK64.

Strange!

By the way: I know that the frontend has a feature to enter highscores MANUALLY but hey, maybe I'm just perfectionistic here.
Robotron 2084

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:54 pm

Ha! Got it...disk options had to be set to CONTINOUS saving.
But why this makes any difference to "ask at diskchange"
is beyond my understanding.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:08 am

If continuous saving is set to off, then it only updates the d64 file when you change disks. Continuously will save the hi-scores immediately, updating the d64 file right away. At Diskchange is good if you want to preserve an original disk and not overwrite anything on it. The best way is to zip the file and manage the save option (re-zip) through GameBase with Continuous saving on.
-J2010C-

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”