Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Using GameBase to boot PCE CD games

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gentlegamer

Using GameBase to boot PCE CD games

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:07 am

Is there a way for GameBase to directly boot PCE CD games? My PCE emulator is Magic Engine, which has a seperate command for booting CD games. It launches ROMs perfectly.

I have an ISO of a CD game. I've tried selecting the .cue file as the game file, but when opened from GameBase, the game doesn't boot, it just opens Magic Engine.

Any advice from more experienced users?

PS
With some games, I'm getting "Run time error '91'; Object variable or With block variable not set" when I attempt to launch the game, locking up GameBase. These games give the same error when I attempt to remove them from the game list, requiring me to delete profile and start over. Any idea why this is happening? I even created a test profile to see if some games would be a problem. Vampire Killer for MSX worked fine in the test profile, but gave this unavoidable error when added to my main profile.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Please post the GEMUS script you are using for MagicEngine. It looks like you need to set some settings in the ini file. I'm not sure if you can autoboot, since I don't have any .cue files to test, but it must have something to do with the ini settings.
-J2010C-
Gentlegamer

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:33 pm

GEMUS Script for Magic Engine:

Add_CLP(%gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()

It's the default script, so I can see that is set up only to work with normal ROMs.

Do you know how to add a line that will check a "virtual" CD drive (containing the ISO) and boot it?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:29 pm

I could try to make it work, but since I have no cue file (or any game files) to test it with, I'm not going to bother. If you can point me so somewhere that I can download something to test, then I will write the script for you. It would be too difficult to write something, post it, then wait for your feedback, rewrite it, etc.
-J2010C-
Gentlegamer

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

I PMed you with details on where to get some ISOs to try out.

Thanks!
Gentlegamer

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:51 am

Any report on the scripting to get Magic Engine to boot CDs from GameBase?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:28 pm

Sorry, but this is the first check-in to the forum in a while. Still very busy, but I haven't forgotten.
-J2010C-
Gentlegamer

Sat May 06, 2006 5:43 pm

No problem! I wish I could be more helpful in contributing to this, but while I'm computer savy enough to point and click, my scripting skills are non-existent. :)
Gentlegamer

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:25 am

I found out that Magic Engine can boot CDs from the command line, but it can only have one CD drive selected.

The command is:
pce.exe syscard3.pce

It loads the CD system card ROM and then the CD mounted on the selected drive (from the pce.ini file).

So for now you can have only one PCE CD execute from GameBase by selecting the system card 3 as the ROM in the game file.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Sorry I haven't goten to see if I could write a GEMUS script for this. I lost all my BasmeBase stuff due to a hard drive crash and backup failure. I also had a baby, so I've been out of commission for a while.
-J2010C-

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”