Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

jGameBase: GameBase on Linux / MacOs / etc

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Would you use GameBase on Linux or MacOS?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 23
fgerbig

jGameBase: GameBase on Linux / MacOs / etc

Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Hi,

I have written (and still are continuing to write) a GameBase clone in Java "jGameBase". When finished it will be released under the GPL.

At the time of this writing it can convert the original GBC 2.5 (not tested with other DBs), display the games/music with info and screenshot and play the game/music.

What it at the moment can't do is edit the database, scan for games/music and much of the additional goodies are missing (hints, popups, tooltips). And it's not too fast (give it 30 seconds to load all games). What's missing too is GEMUS; you just get the hard wired emulator/soundplayer started.

Questions to the authors of GameBase and the database:

1. Relax database license
Please consider to relax the licensing of the database. As of now I will not release the db in converted form because your license forbids this. Would it be possible to change the license for the already released databases too?

2. Where to release
I would appreciate if I could release betas, WIP and perhaps (in due time) the final version on the official sourceforge homepage or/and the GameBase homepage. Alternatively I could register "jGameBase" as own sf.net project.

Thanks for the great program and keep up the good work!

Kind regards,
Frank.
fgerbig

Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 am

Hi,

please find the first public beta of jGameBase at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgamebase

Feedback and bug reports welcome.

Kind regards,
Frank.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Re: jGameBase: GameBase on Linux / MacOs / etc

Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:23 am

fgerbig wrote:Questions to the authors of GameBase and the database:

1. Relax database license
Please consider to relax the licensing of the database. As of now I will not release the db in converted form because your license forbids this. Would it be possible to change the license for the already released databases too?
We could add a download for the converted db on our website and you refer to our page. As long as it is available from our page only, I see no problem.
fgerbig wrote:2. Where to release
I would appreciate if I could release betas, WIP and perhaps (in due time) the final version on the official sourceforge homepage or/and the GameBase homepage. Alternatively I could register "jGameBase" as own sf.net project.
I think this is a question that James has to answer (if he reads it!). At least we can also add a download for jGB aswell.

Ciao,
Michael
fgerbig

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 pm

By the way - there is a new release of jGameBase:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jgamebase

Please have a look :-)

Kind regards,
Frank.
CRP

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:05 pm

I am looking forward to try jGameBase on Mac OSX. Unfortunately, I have still a G5 (PPC) mac, and on this platform java 1.6 is not supported. I will try your sw as soon as I am able to upgrade to Intel Mac. fgerbig, I suggest you check out www dot doremac dot com which is a site for mac-based c64 enthusiasts.

regards
Chris
CRP

Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, I got myself an Intel Mac. Unfortunately, I can use jgamebase only with the C64Lite database, since I have been unable to build mdbtools on OS X so far... :(
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:56 pm

Great work! The screenshots look great!

James
oldstyler

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Hello Frank

Thanks for building this java Port of GB 64 !
After i switched to linux some years ago this was one of the most missed programs for me.
I downloaded v0.45 and with th lite version of gb64 it works very well.
But there is an major problem : I'm not able to import any other gamebase. The import process always end up in a error message : csv file '/home/name/.jgamebase/nameofgb/export/viewdata.csv" is not empty.

And beside this it seems to me there are problems when the gamebase i'm trying to install includes spacer or underlines. eg gb_a800.

Maybe you can have a look into this. If you need mor informations im glad to help.
Best regards
fgerbig

Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:58 pm

Hello oldstyler,

You are right, the name of the database directory must not contain spaces (that should be no problem, because you can specify a display name in the file "db.ini").

As for the problem with importing other databases: Please try to use the toolbox (add "toolbox" as command line parameter when starting jGameBase). With the toolbox you can import databases step by step - perhaps you can find out what the problem is. If you don't succeed please tell me which database you use so I can have a look.

Kind regards,
Frank.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”