Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Trying to add a game manually

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

CyberDrifter

Trying to add a game manually

Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:42 pm

Hi there Nostalgia dudes... I've searched the forum for my problem but I couldn't find it. I'm sure I'm not the first one who asks this, so don't bite my head of... I tried! :wink:

I have downloaded a lot of games for the gamebase, including (ofcourse) Bruce Lee. The Filename is BRUCELEE_01135_01.zip. Inside is a tape image (BRUCELEE.T64). I downloaded the file via LATIF, the one suggested by Gamebase.

Now, when I verify my games, it skips/ignores this one. When I unpack the game and load it directly into CSS64 (v3.0) it doens't work either.

My question is this: is the file that LATIF offers damaged, or am I getting senile? (I must be, playing a 64k game on a 3 Ghz PC! :lol: )
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:25 am

Gamebase is assuming that the file resides in a certain folder. First you have to specify under which folder(s) the game images are stored (in Tools, Paths, tab Games). This is the base folder for all your downloaded games.
Second step is to check the subfolder Gamebase is using to search the gamefile. You will see somthing like B\BRUCELEE_01135_01.zip. This means that you have to create a subfolder named B under the folder you specified earlier. In this folder you have to store your game file. Gamebase will find it correctly.
BTW if you use e-mule and search for Gamebase, you will find 4 CD images of Gamebase64 V03 that contain everything you need (database, screenshots, SID music, game files, originals, maps and many more).
CyberDrifter

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:31 pm

Yo KC, Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I've failed to mention that I have a lot of games already running and I have configured the paths. Also, I've the A,B,C...etc. directory structure. All other games work without problems, only this one does not. So a was wondering/curious if this problem lies with the file itself.

On the subject, I'll give Emule a try tonight...
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:12 pm

Did you notice that the Bruce Lee game file has to be copied to a subfolder named B2 (Not B)?
Is the filename that Gamebase looks for the same as the filename you stored?
If everything is correct and it is still not working, you can press Ctrl/P and browse to the correct game file.
CyberDrifter

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:15 pm

DOH! No I did not... I thought having a directory sturcture like A,B,C,D,E,F,...ETC.. was default and pretty much covered it all.. Aparently not! I'll try this as soon as I get home. 8) Thanks!

How did you see exactly what file/path it was looking for. (Newby Question)
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:28 pm

If the list of games in a particular folder is getting too long, they are seperated (B1 and B2).
You can check the name of the folder by selecting a game in Gamebase and looking in the status bar at the bottom of the screen (left side). It will show something like [v01] b2\BRUCELEE_01135_01.zip. B2 is of course the name of the folder.
To change the path to the game, you have to press CTRL/G and not CTRL/P as I mentioned above.
CyberDrifter

Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Super! Thanks for the Help K.C. :D
CyberDrifter

Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:44 am

Yes.. That was spot on K.C.! I didn't know there was a possibility for more folders per letter! It took me some time, but I have the complete v3 database in games! I found them in the NewsGroups, so if you have a payserver (or a provider that stores their news items long enough) you shouldn't have a problem.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:03 am

Glad to see you found the source of your problem CyberDrifter :)

For any others with similar problems, there is another possibility.
If the games folder for any of your games is buried too deep in the directory structure (e.g. C:\Program Files\Emulation\Frontends\GB64\C64\Games\B), Gamebase can struggle to find them.
Always try to install gamebase and other related data closer to the root of your drive.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”