Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Runtime error:7 Out of memory.. help needed plz!!!!

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Sharky

Runtime error:7 Out of memory.. help needed plz!!!!

Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:40 pm

Hi, ive got now over 10,000 Games added and its becoming increasing difficult to load up.

Im curious how GB uses the system memory, as I do have 320MB RAM and plenty Hard Drive space.

Im regularlly getting a Runtime Error: Out of memory and i almost have to close almost everything running in the background to boot it up.

Should i stop adding games? or it it mainly the so many mulptie screenshots ive got thats using up my system memory!

Need to know its beginning to worry me. :(
Thank-You for reading my post.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:10 pm

I'm a bit confused - what game files are you adding?

The GBC database has already more than 15000 linked games and runs smoothly.

Maybe there's a bug in the add game file/add screenshot function so it doesn't deallocate the used memory. I remember having memory problems when adding/starting too many games on the same day.
In this case a reboot would temporarily solve the problem.
Gu

Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:48 pm

Michael Plate wrote:I'm a bit confused - what game files are you adding?

The GBC database has already more than 15000 linked games and runs smoothly.

Maybe there's a bug in the add game file/add screenshot function so it doesn't deallocate the used memory. I remember having memory problems when adding/starting too many games on the same day.
In this case a reboot would temporarily solve the problem.
Im adding games for all types of systems with the correct emulators, (D64, BIN, ROM, etc, etc) all what it was designed for. (All in the 1 xxxx.mdb file.)

I was thinking ill added too many screenshots as i have about 3 screenshots per game.

Ill did reboot my computer and it helped, but if I decided to close GB and run it again it would give me a run-time, error.

I guess its my PC then, as the RAM doesnt seem to clear after closing gamebase. Ill try some things first to see if my RAM is being cleared.

But once GB Successfully loads I can leave it open and it would be in the background. But it does hog my memory for other large applications so sometimes have to close it. :?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:26 pm

1) I used to run into problems with VICE, since it used to (and maybe still does) hold onto a little bit of memory after you close it. I once tried starting and closing VICE about 500 times, and my system ened up with about 10% RAM left with nothing running. I reported it to the VICE team, but never saw anything about a bug fix in any later releases.

2) Iif you are directly entering data into or editing the .mdb, there is a very good chance that the .mdb will get corrupted. Try I have had this problem many times in the past. You will need to compact and repair the database.

3) Make sure you have the latest DirectX, VB and Jet Engine (DB) drivers installed.
-J2010C-
Sharky

Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:26 am

J2003C wrote:1) I used to run into problems with VICE, since it used to (and maybe still does) hold onto a little bit of memory after you close it. I once tried starting and closing VICE about 500 times, and my system ened up with about 10% RAM left with nothing running. I reported it to the VICE team, but never saw anything about a bug fix in any later releases.

2) Iif you are directly entering data into or editing the .mdb, there is a very good chance that the .mdb will get corrupted. Try I have had this problem many times in the past. You will need to compact and repair the database.

3) Make sure you have the latest DirectX, VB and Jet Engine (DB) drivers installed.
1) Thats correct, my DB has about 50 scripted emulators in it for loads of different platforms. Running too many different games and emulator is 1 long session begins to chew up the RAM, so I system restart is using necessary

2) I didnt actually know I could edit the .mdb manually, Mines almost 10MB is size and editing just a huge file like that manually on a text-editor, but I just had a look at it in a text file viewer and seen some strange entries I dont even remember entering.

3) Got the lastest DirectX v9, I havent checked my VB dll version for years so I better check em and Jet Engine (DB), not sure what Jet Engine means (DB) but I go and check up on this.

Besides anyway one werid problem I had and very strange problem, GB just wouldnt link to the DALLAS QUEST (c64), and odd GB error would come up. yet the any other C64 was no problem. Somehow I eventuslly got around this problem but I cant remember how.
And another game that wont link up is BRUCE LEE (DOS) yet all my 200 or so DOS Games, not a problem. :?: :? :evil:

But other than that GB is about 97% perfect, so 1 last version should probably be enough. :)
Thank-You for reading my post.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”