Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Any programers here able to help?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

wickerwolf

Any programers here able to help?

Sat May 03, 2008 2:14 am

Is there any coders willing to help make a small piece of software based of the gamebase source code for the game community?

Im not a coder and have no experience, i downloaded the visual studio 2008 trial and have being trying my best, but its going very slow.

What I'm trying to make is A little front end for all the collectors of Sony consoles (PSX,PS2,PSP * Pocketstation) *God bless ebay*

So heres the basics:

Has 3 master lists and a custom list, the master lists are the sonyindex lists (Pal, US Asia) and the custom 1 is the users collection.

There are tabs at the top which change the game list view to:
-All Games - all games from the 4 lists
-Asia - All jap/korean games
-Pal - All Pal games
-USA - All US games
-Available - All the games in the custom list (users collection)

When in the "all games" view the green and red boxes at the bottom right are visible, green means you have that game red means you don't.

Boxes for media (Cd or DVD) Box I-1 (how many discs the game comes on 1 or 2) and a custom info box as well.

Thats just the basics, heres a picture for a better understanding of it:
And a photoshoped version:

Here's a few of the feature's:

--user can compare he's/her collection against the list and see what there missing.

--keep track of there own collection with a nice GUI (compared to a .doc/.txt file which alot of users use to list there collection)

--Compare the custom list against the database list and compile a .txt file of any entries int he custom list which are not on the database list, ready for emailing to the database staff.

--Export a list of have/miss games

In the software root folder would be the snap,snap2 & box folders in which would be the box art named for example SLUS_00043, then in the snap and snap2 folders would be screenshots with the same name. So the software displays the images from those 3 folders in the 3 boxes when the user is on the game int he list that has the code SLUS_00043, in the ID tag box.

I don't think from a coders point of view this would be to hard to do, but since I'm not a coder and have no help at the moment it's not going very well.

So if anybody has just a little bit of coding knowledge and is able to help build this app please PM me.
JohnCKirk

Sat May 03, 2008 11:54 am

I'm busy with the main GameBase conversion at the moment, but a few thoughts on this one:

a) In your design, there are separate red/green boxes, but only one of them could be visible at a time (you either own a copy of the game or you don't), so it would be better to just have one box that can change colour.

b) What's the "Size" box for?

c) Do you have a database with the relevant info in it? If you can create this manually (e.g. in Access), that will give programmers a starting point. You don't need to enter every single game, but just having 10-20 would be useful, and you can get your table design sorted out that way.
wickerwolf

Sat May 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey, the size box is aimed at the pocketstation collectors, the green & red box i agree with it was only after you pointed it out that i realized only 1 needs to be shown at a time.

At the moment i have a .xls file with 1993 entries in it so far and have the box art and snap shot collections with around 100 pics in each,a ll named with the correct ID tags. And i have a .txt file with 20,000 entries in it at the moment.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”