Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

New GB version coming... feature requests, anyone?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu May 27, 2010 11:13 am

A few very small bugs. I don't think they are 1.3 Beta related, it's likely these issues also occur in older versions:
  • In the file text.ini, changing the value of Field_ParentGenre has no effect. When creating or editing custom views, I always see Parent Genre, not what I typed in for this field. The line Field_Genre works as expected.
  • With Alt+X, the Extras button is selected, but the context menu doesn't show up. I can't find a way (Space, Enter) to show the list of extras with the keyboard. Therefore, the shortkey Alt+X is useless.
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Sat May 29, 2010 9:08 pm

New version for you guys to test:
http://www.leesti.com/gamebase-setup-v1.3-full.exe
http://www.leesti.com/gamebase-setup-v1.3-update.exe
PM me for a link to the sourcecode.

As long as there are no urgent show-stopping fixes, this will be the release version. Anything else not done will be candidates for v1.4 (sorry K.C. I missed those last 2 bugs, but they're very small so I'm not too bothered right now).

New stuff/Changes: -
----------------------------
- Increased size of "Select Folder" window
- Increased size of Database Paths window
- Fixed crash when creating custom views that include the Review Rating field [thanks Pugsy]
- Fixed zoomed pics not zooming to desired size (zoom now also retains aspect ratio) [thanks .mad.]
- Fixed bug where files larger than 2GB could not be linked via the Game Selector
- Added "Discard changes?" messagebox when quitting the Key=Value [F2] window [thanks K.C.]
- Fixed crash when selecting to edit a linked "extra" and there are some invalid paths set in Paths.ini [thanks .mad.]
- Add number of seconds to splash screen filename to display it for that length of time, e.g. "splash.5.gif" displays for 5 seconds [thanks Flarp]
- Add number of seconds to startup WAV filename to display the splash screen for that length of time, e.g. "startup.10.wav" displays splash screen for 10 seconds (overrides num seconds specified in splash filename) [thanks Flarp]
- Clicking the splash screen will now close it
chrismcd

Sun May 30, 2010 1:48 pm

can't wait to try it... Nice work
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks once again Jimbo,

for fixing the most important program running on my PC. 8)
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks very much for all your hard work and all the fixes this will help help me a lot. =)
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon May 31, 2010 3:23 am

I do have a small problem with the latest beta version though

It never works when I try to have it change any .bmp screenshots to .png screenshots.

Thanks for letting us set the # of seconds for the splash screen and .wav files.. maybe in the future I'll be able to use small video clips instead for the startup sequence. So I could have an actual video with the sound included of the bootup sequence of the various systems. But if this isn't possible or to much of a pain than it's still better than it was they way you have it now.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Mon May 31, 2010 8:09 am

Jimbo wrote:- Added "Discard changes?" messagebox when quitting the Key=Value [F2] window [thanks K.C.]
Thanks for adding this one, but I was talking about pressing Esc in the GEMUS script edit window, not the key=value pair edit window.
hrmes

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Very nice additions in this version Jimbo. Would it be difficult to also add starting games with the Enter key ?
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 pm

I had a couple of hours free tonight so I've uploaded a new version: -
http://www.leesti.com/gamebase-setup-v1.3-full.exe
http://www.leesti.com/gamebase-setup-v1.3-update.exe
Is this finally the release one? ;)

- added Kill_Process() GEMUS function ( see http://www.bu22.com/wiki/gemus_script_r ... ll_process )
- added Wait() GEMUS function ( see http://www.bu22.com/wiki/gemus_script_r ... tions/wait )
- added "Discard Script changes?" messagebox when quitting the GEMUS Script edit window
- fixed Text.ini bug where Field_ParentGenre was not being loaded

Please can someone test the Kill_Process GEMUS function on Windows 7 as I don't have that installed (32-bit, and if poss, 64-bit). Thanks.

@hrmes: add it to v1.4 request thread thanks!

@Flarp: re the bmp2png... just the last version? or has it never worked for you? Anyone else had this problem?
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Jimbo wrote:- added Wait() GEMUS function ( see http://www.bu22.com/wiki/gemus_script_r ... tions/wait )
I needed that one. Nice timing!
Tested and works like expected.
Jimbo wrote:- added "Discard Script changes?" messagebox when quitting the GEMUS Script edit window
Thanks!
Jimbo wrote:- fixed Text.ini bug where Field_ParentGenre was not being loaded
Hmm... I still see "Parent Genre" when editing a custom view, unless I've set it to another value in text.ini. But it's not a big issue.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:39 am

Flarp wrote: It never works when I try to have it change any .bmp screenshots to .png screenshots.
Just a thought...
Do you have BMP2PNG.EXE in your install dir.

try using it outside of gamebase in a command window.

if using Vista or Win7 it might need running with Admin rights.
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:00 am

Honestly I don't think I had a problem in the last version with changing .bmp to .png in Gamebase. But I haven't really needed to use this function on my projects until recently so I can't say if it's a Win7 64 bit issue or it's a Gamebase exclusive problem. I will download the most recent version you just posted and give it a try.

I also use Irfanview but I will try and use bmp2png like someone suggested and try that.
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 am

Well the problem is still there in the newest version. Also I copied bmp2png into my screenshots folder and tried running it from the command line and it froze the program everytime bmp2png failed.

Hee is the error message I got under the newest version of Game Base when I tried turning a .bmp file to .png

g:\Game Base\Playstation 2\Screenshots\Atelier_Iris_3_Phantasm_1.png not found! conversion failed!

But Atelier_Iris_3_Phanstasm_1 is a .bmp file not a .png file so I don't know if any of this helps solve the problem or not
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:28 am

hummm,

1)
if bmp2png froze from the command window,
it could be a Win7 or new processor problem.
is there an option in Win7,
to run BMP2PNG.EXE in XP or Win95 compatability mode.
Right click on it and select properties.

2)
if you did not snap and save the BMP picture yourself,
and you downloaded it from the web.
it might not even be a BMP file, just re-named as one.
load the file into Paint then save it again as BMP.
and see if that works.

3)
create your screenshots path on C:
copy the BMP file to it.

not very helpful, but i can confirm this works for me on XP.
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:42 am

Flarp wrote: Hee is the error message I got under the newest version of Game Base when I tried turning a .bmp file to .png

g:\Game Base\Playstation 2\Screenshots\Atelier_Iris_3_Phantasm_1.png not found! conversion failed!

But Atelier_Iris_3_Phanstasm_1 is a .bmp file not a .png file so I don't know if any of this helps solve the problem or not
I've had a similar problem in the past with BMP2GIF. This seems to be a timing problem.
When Gamebase calls BMP2GIF or BMP2PNG, it waits a few seconds until it sees the converted file. If it's found, the original BMP is deleted.
If Gamebase doesn't find the generated PNG or GIF file after a few seconds, it generates this error message.
In my situation, the virusscanner I used was the problem.

Read this thread for more information.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”