Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

A no install version out there?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

A no install version out there?

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi there,

A friend has asked a reasonable question re the GB, he likes to put his gamesbases on USB sticks, it had the pleasure of freeing up some HD space and handy if he wanted to take them around to show someone, well the last one was what he hoped.

As the frontend has to be installed it means he has to install it on the persons machine which not everyone is happy with something being installed.

Is there a way that a presinstalled GB can run without needing a reinstall of the GB frontend, to be a bit clearer, when I tidy up my OS and get rid of the clutter I simply format the C: drive and put all my stuff back on, I'm used to it and I have it down to a short time. The Gamebase is installed on the D: drive but if you run it it says its missing something and needs a reinstall.

Is there a way to path whatever its missing to the D: drive so I don't need to re install it every time, surely its only missing a file or two or some pathing?.

I only ask as an answer to that would also help my friend with his issue.

If its not possible then fine..I just thought I'd ask..

I'll explain further if you are not sure what I mean.
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm

At the moment there is no true portable version available.

I did have a version (beta) with all the DLL files needed in the root directory.
But they all needed registering on the computer to work.
which is what the installer does anyway.

Jimbo is the one to ask about this. :wink:
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Cheers for the answer .Mad, I'm just a fan of programs that keep themselves portable, everything you need in the directory, nothing spread all over the system.

All would be needed is the DLL's as you say and a simple bat file to do the registering of them.

I know that this way the PC cab get 'cluttered' with multiple dupe files all over the place instead of one that is system pathed but the plus side is that if the Sims games that I host on my PC D: drive for my sims mad daughter were to be self contained she would not have to reinstall them all every time I declutter the PC.

Instead I have to get the user data and store that before I format my C: drive, then she sits there for what seems hours actually spending 99% of that replacing data that is already in the folders.
-------
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Run gamebase with gbregrun.exe instead of gamebase.exe

http://www.bu22.com/wiki/gbregrun.exe
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks Jimbo....

Excellent...
-------

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”