Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

importing romcenter 2.00 dat (amiga games)

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

sc
scherten

importing romcenter 2.00 dat (amiga games)

Thu May 13, 2004 11:16 am

hello,
i'm trying to build an amiga database from romcenter tosec dats of amiga games...but when i try tio import the 2.00 dat in gamebase toolbox i get an error:"runtime error'13';Type mismatch"
i've tried several dats but it's the same

so if someone could help me with that, it would be awsomne since i managed to get winuae working with gamebase...
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat May 15, 2004 7:29 am

Yes, this is a common error when importing romcenter dat files, but is easily fixed.

* Select your imported mdb file from the GB Toolbox
* Right click
* Click on Scan and Fix Errors

Actually the GB Toolbox tells you to do this after importing a rom...
...you did do it didn't you? - :wink:

If that fails, you can try doing a similar trick by opening the file in MS Access:-

* Click on Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact and Repair Database
* Select your DB and run the fix

Note: If you are using Access 2000 or later, you will probably need to convert the database. You don't need to convery back for Gamebase either, Gamebase seemes to cope fine with the converted file.

* In access Click on Tools -> Database Utilities -> Convert Database
* Then run the scan and fix routine.
Gu

Sat May 15, 2004 5:45 pm

well it's good to see that this error is known and fixable :)

so let me know if i'm doing something wrong:
-i create a new database in GBtollbox
-i rightclick>scan anf fix error --->Fixed:All NULL Data Removed!
-open gamebase add an emulator and a rom, close gamebase
-open GBToolbox, rightclick>scan anf fix error
-rightclick>import Romcenter 2.00...
i get the same error

i havent tried in access yet

is it a problem related to the importer, the dat file or the os?

i've tried in win98 but it's the same

i have a french WinXP
sc
scherten

Mon May 17, 2004 9:31 am

i have tried to open a database in access2000 >compact and repair then open it up in GBtollbox and import the romcenter dat....
but it's the same problem :(
maybe someone could post a working database to see if i can import the romcenter dat?

anyway thx for the help
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon May 17, 2004 9:59 am

Rather that create the new database first, I think you are meant to just import the Romcenter dat file directly. Gamebase Toolbox creates a new from the dat file it'self, so if you are trying to import into an existing database, that's possibly where you are getting the corruption.

Have you tried the direct import method?
I just created a gamebase from one of the (many) Tosec dat files available for the Amiga at Romcenter (Games #-A) (then ran the fix errors routine) and it worked first time.

The split dat files given for the Amiga are a bit of a frustration, which would mean you could end up with 13 separate databases just to get through the alphabet of games! Transferring data from one database is no mean feat either. It can be done and is discussed elsewhere on the forums, but it is mega-awkward.

:idea: My suggestion is that before importing, you edit one Amiga dat file to paste in the games data from all the other dats. You can edit them quite easily in Wordpad.
sc
scherten

Mon May 17, 2004 6:48 pm

well, i'm pissed off :(((
i really don't understand why this isn't working...i dit what you said, direct import of a freshly downloaded romcenter tosec file of amiga games, but always the same error
i even tried reinstalling gamebase 1.0 and the vb6 runtime
and reformating and reinstalling a clean winXP
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue May 18, 2004 8:53 am

:shock: Good grief. I hate to see a fellow Gamebase fan suffer.
Let me see what I can do for you, exactly which Dat file(s) would you like to import?

In the meantime, I think you deserve a day off. Just send me an e-mail to let me know your e-mail address (my address is given in my profile).

Judging by the size of the test database I created (#-A games only), it'll be several Mb in size. Does your ISP impose a limitation on the size of your e-mail attachments?

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”