Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Update: DarkBase v5.4 - 2014-10-11-done Minimize Frontend.

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Update: DarkBase v5.4 - 2014-10-11-done Minimize Frontend.

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:50 pm

I was frustrated how GameBase didn't look to good when using dark themes in Windows XP or 7, the blue details on the grey/black was extremely ugly and hard to read.

Since I launch it everyday, I was forced to only use light themes, this was hard for me during gaming with a bright screen in dark rooms.

So after months and months i've trying to make sense of VB6 and understand the source code, I found out the tweaks to do it, also made several other small tweaks around the place, which I'll also add in the normal light themed GB, and still plenty more I trying to learn to do, but slowly getting there.

Anyway I tweaked this under WinXP using the Lakrits dark theme from deviantART - http://lassekongo83.deviantart.com/art/ ... e-59440359, but sure it will look good on any dark theme now, XP or 7.

^ BEFORE - This is the original GB v1.3, doesn't look too good.

^ AFTER (1)

^ AFTER (2)

^ AFTER (3)

Just a warning my avast virus checker detects the exe as a suspicious file and deletes and quarantines it, so you must need to add it in your exclusion list, if yours does the same.

To Install: Simply just unextract the file, put in your GameBase folder and launch DarkBaseV4.exe instead of Gamebase.exe.

The file is here

https://www.sendspace.com/file/i87gxh

^ DarkBase v4.2

Much more tweaking to come, and make sure you use a dark theme and hope you have fun with this alternative as much as I do.
Last edited by Underfly on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Looks really nice. It would be interesting to see a list of the tweeks if you have maintained one.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:22 am

Major update: Game Title returns to the Middle!

I wasn't too happy with the GB v1.3 update where the game title was no longer in the middle, but unfortunately I had issues simply just dragging the label in the middle.

So, instead I added a timer control to the label to scroll from the left to the middle, then stop there, because I wouldn't want it to scroll indefinite, and use up system resources.

I think this way it's kind of cool, a little bit of scrolling animation brings life back into Gamebase, missing since GB was only known as GameBase64.

Plus, more minor tweaks, but they have been so small like re-alignments and tidying up, etc. I forgotten most of them, as recording them doesn't seem so important to me.

Still to do in no particular order.

1. Animated support controls for PNG and GIFs
2. Gamebase to minimize to taskbar when running a game to reduce desktop clutter (and resources, if the above comes true)
3. New picturebox for front covers, programmers, and artists and maybe other extras. (Location(s) is unknown as yet)
4. New Shortcut command buttons for navigating in DirListBox's easier. (Extras, Screenshots)

No requests please, I'm too new to this VB6 programming language.

Obviously my most wanted change would be the animated image support, which probably require a third party component, and a complete code rewrite, but if all else fails there the option of converted the daunting task of converting the entire project to VB.net.

New Version is here: DarkBase V5.1

https://www.sendspace.com/file/nh8kbc

(disable your virus checkers)
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Update to v5.4

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:00 pm

A more minor update here: Main Window will now minimize when an emulator is run.

I added some code in so the frontend will minimize to taskbar when a game is executed, I needed this, I can't stand cluttered desktops when I'm playing games. The front-end will return to it's default side and position only after the emulator is closed, similar to the wait to rezip behaviour.

I found out there was actually three ways to launch a game, not just the Play Game button, but Right click for emulator select, or run using a GEMUs script from the extras, I had to hunt all the Rungame calls down.

Update here now to V5.4

https://www.sendspace.com/file/n9hu69

(And remember, this has been only designed for dark themes), it won't look good on a default light theme.

I have the original version aside, but I'm going to wait until I perfect this.

Still to come:

1. Animated support controls for PNG and GIFs
2. New picturebox for front covers, programmers, and artists and maybe other extras. (Location(s) is unknown as yet)
3. New Shortcut command buttons for navigating in DirListBox's easier. (Extras, Screenshots)

Progress: 40% out of 100%
2/5 to do's completed so far.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”