Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Runtime errors

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Runtime errors

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:21 am

Re. discussions which have appeared earlier under 'Merging Databases?' and 'Gamebase crashes when adding games!'
I've come across another possible cause of the famous runtime errors.

Yes, the problem does occur if you have invalid database entries, but the problem also manifests when the directory address (pathnames) are very long.
I don't think it's anything specifically to do with the database I was testing (I spent a quite while manually checking all the entries via access).
But install Gamebase (and the same database) closer to the root and the problem disappears! :D

In my test case, some games were affected and some not, in fact the same games consistently caused the error when they were highlighted in the frontend. Trying to narrow down on the route cause, I tried adding and deleting various special characters in the filenames; e.g. & ' - ( ) [ ] ...etc.
But special characters don't seem to make any difference.

The bug therefore seems to be associated with long pathnames in the Gamebase frontend, particularly where long-ish filenames will be appended to the pathname (e.g. for screenshots etc.).
I guess one way out would be to implement relative pathing (e.g. .\Snes\Music) but this seems to bring about problems also - Relative pathing has been mentioned elsewhere in the forum without any joy ('Will the frontend work with relative pathing?')

Is there any chance anyone could work on a solution?
Maybe we could get it included in the next release.
:P
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

relative pathing...

Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:59 am

I have successfully managed to get everything working with relative pathing, except the games themselves.
I edited the .ini files with notepad (the best tool ever!) and all seems to work fine.
Try it with the games though, and it does not work.
I guess this was by design and in accordance with the licence that the authors have in place regarding having the games on the same media as the gamabase frontend.
:?:

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”