Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Distribution of game images.

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

Distribution of game images.

Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:29 am

The licence agreement for the Gamebase frontend stipulates that the game images cannot be distributed on the same media as the frontend.
Is it still 'acceptable' to make them available for download however when one makes the database, extras, music files etc available?

:?:
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Distribution of game images

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:04 pm

Well I'm no solicitor, but I interpret the licence agreement to mean distributed in the same bundle; i.e. if gamebase was distributed in the same zip file, cd-rom, DVD etc as game images (roms); that would be against the rules.

If you post a separate download for the Gamebase frontend on the same website, or distribute the frontend on a separate disk to game roms, I would say that was a segregated distribution and therefore I don't see that there should be a problem (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) :)

Also, I would say the game databases are subject to separate licensing altogether from the Gamebase Frontend. If the databases have been written by third parties (such as yourself), the third party should be able to apply their own copyright (& associated rules) to their own documentation.

Since the bare databases are providing information only, I don't see any reason why they couldn't be bundled with the frontend. Emulators could be bundled with the GB frontend for the same reason too I guess, providing they are for free distribution (check individual emulators' documentation).

Screenshots (& music) are a different issue however. Screenshots are on one hand unique images, created by individuals, but on the other hand, pictorial images or logos contained within them may be subject to copyright by the game manufacturer. Game music follows the same logic :?

In summary, I would advise:
1. Distribute game roms separately from the Gamebase Frontend
2. Why not link to the Gamebase installer at BU22.com or create your own mirror?
3. Do what you like with your own database
4. It should be ok to bundle emulators with the GB frontend, but check emulator documentation first.
5. Think about distributing screenshots and music as separate downloads
(or include them on the same disk as game Roms on physical media)

OK, if you aren't asleep by now;
i.e. Solicitors or other experts in law - Please insert your opinion below:-
[but don't expect me to pay you for it :lol: ]
Emudude

Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:10 pm

As far a I know, Protovision is the only C64 programming house making money off C64 programs, and also the group programming the game Newcomer (NTSC Fixed version coming soon for us Americans). If there are still any Big Wig companies still making money off the sales of C-64 software please let the GB64 community know. :roll:
Emudude,

Saving the Universe, one computer at a time.
Em
EmuGuy

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:03 pm

Protovision hopefully accepts including full versions of their C64 games in GameBase64, because they only sell games for TRUE C64 owners on TRUE disks - thus accepting freeware status of their games for emulators.
Gu

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:08 pm

I think that GB64 distribution rules aplies not only for CD and DVD, but too for BluRay disks and other future data carriers too.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”