Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Memory Leak

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

peejaygee

Memory Leak

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:34 am

It would appear I have a problem, I installed everything, I go to view my games, I press down a few times, and bang it freezes, I fire up Task Manager, and I notice the memory usage increasing?? am I right in thinking it is a memory leak?

What can I do?
If Ya gonna jump, Don't, ya will only hurt yaself.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:45 pm

This is a known bug that was found a long time ago, but wasn't a priority, since James thought that most people wouldn't scroll for that long. I think that on most systems, the screenshots and record datas are being cached as the scroll continues, but there is an overflow eventually. I can reproduce this on all systems I've tried it on, but it takes considerably longer for the error on faster/newer machines. As long as you don't crash the program, the memory should be reclaimed properly without a leak.

WinVICE used to have a leak, and I wonder if it still does in the latest 2 versions. Start up and close WinVICE about 100 times and notice that your resources will be permanently lower!
-J2010C-
mr
mrwumpus

Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:37 pm

I'm having a similar problem on entries that include extra artwork, like cover scans. A few scrolls down and it crashes with "generated an error" and closes. My extra artwork isn't huge (nothing over 600x400 PNG) but it happens so often that I'm about to give up making a database. :(
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Try this, as it has slowed the problem for me to where I do not get it unless I specifically try to make it crash:

Tools->Options=>Recent Menu
Change Update to "When an item is played/run"

I hope this works for you too.
-J2010C-
mr
mrwumpus

Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:38 pm

It turns out the problem disappears completely when I use GameBase style pictures. I was using MAME style, which for whatever reason was crashing. I'd prefer to use MAME style but the crashes changed my mind. :)

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”