Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Utility for creating release 'Packs'

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

Utility for creating release 'Packs'

Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:04 am

I am having a program written for me by a work colleague (the joys of working for a company that writes software!)

It will be a util that allows you to take a 'snapshot' of any given directory structure.
You can then modify this structure, and compare the new version of the structure to the old snapshot, and copy/save only the changes preserving the directory structure that accompanies it..
IE you can 'snap' the current Database, add files, change time date stamp etc, add extras, etc etc, and later find only the things that have changed since the 'snap' and copy them elsewhere, in prep for creating update packs.

Sound like a tool you guys could use?

You can slso use this for changing, for example, a website. You only upload the files that need to be uploaded.. and you do not need to keep track of *anything* just compare against the previous snapshot.

The 'snap' is simply a textfile containing the 'listing' of the directory/sub directories that you specify..
I have asked if he can look into also preserving NTFS security permissions.... (could come in handy)

Let me know if you would like a copy, it might be just what GB database authors have been looking for, and it will be free!

Regards, Arthur.
NES dabatase admin.
:wink:
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:43 pm

Without also keeping the CRCs of all the individual files, the utility is insufficient, since same file size and date does not guarantee that files are unchanged. But this utility might still be useful.
-J2010C-
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

There will be a crc check of sorts

Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:08 am

..but we are not to sure which hashing method to use right now.
:)

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”