Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Can't get Game Base to detect my games. Please Help...

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gu
Guy

Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:28 pm

Hello. I have spent over 2 hours trying to get Game Base to detect my snes games with no luck. I import a rom center snes .dat file, set my rom and picture paths and use the "verify available files" option in the tool menu and yet game base tells me that I have no games or pictures. I can add games manually but the .dat file is not working and is useless. The games are listed but are inoperable. Grrrrrr I say...

I have tried unzipping the roms. I have tried naming the default emulator file type to .zip and .smc. I have rescanned my roms with Good tools and have confirmed that they are indeed Good certified. And for the love of (insert deity here) why doesn't Game Base detect my pictures??? I downloaded them from http://www.screenshotarchive.com and all are unzipped and every picture is named according to Good rom naming to match every game in my rom collection. Man is this program evil or what? Arrrrrrrgh indeed...

What could be the problem? Am I retarded? Is the program retarded? Or maybe it's both? ;) *joke* Seriously I have no idea what could be the trouble. Please for the love Sega Genesis help me. Thank you...
Gu

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:26 pm

lets face it, GameBase aint no MAME32
Gu
Guy

Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:58 pm

...You're comment is extremely unhelpful. Are you suggesting that I don't have the sagacity to operate Game Base and that I should stick to mame 32 or something? Grrrrr, how dare you sir! ;) *joke* I have configured 3-D Arcade for MAME so Game Base should be easier compared to that right?? But it isn't! Arrrrrgh I say, arrrrrgh indeed. This damn thing is driving me crazy...

Why doesn't Game Base detect my roms or pictures? It’s my understanding that by importing rom center .dats, Game Base uses that info to detect your rom collection correct? I can add games manually to the game list through the file menu but the rom center import function seems completely useless. I have a complete list of snes roms but nothing happens when I double click them. What could be the problem?

Also, I was wondering do you have to manually assign pictures to each individual game or does Game Base automatically apply each pic if the name of the picture and game match? Mame32 does this and so does 3-D arcade. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:54 pm

Can I point you in the direction of Tools menu > Paths option, and Tools menu > Verify available files option?
Gu

Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:40 pm

...Grumble,grumble, can I point you to the verify available files option indeed. Like I stated previously, I import a rom center snes .dat file, set my rom and picture paths and use the "verify available files" option in the tool menu and yet game base tells me that I have no games or pictures. No joy, no luck, just horrible irritating infuriating aggravation...

Oh for the love of sweet and crunchy Jesus, I give up. Game Base has defeated me soundly. I throw in the towel. For me, the name of Game Base shall forever live in infamy...

But I got even I tell ya, I got even big time! I removed the game base program with extreme prejudice. After that, I renamed the original installer package to "Die Game Base, Die" and used the Secure File Shredder in the Spybot Search and Destroy tools menu to destroy and shred game base into 50 unrecoverable pieces! That will teach ya to waste hours of my time! Yes, yes it will! Mha ha ha ha *cough* *cough* ha ha ha! ;)

Sigh, I'm just looking for a simple and reliable front-end for my emulation 16 bit game consoles that incorporates snaps, titles and box art that I got from http://www.screenshotarchive.com. Is that too much to ask? Can someone here recommend a good and not evil front end that would meet my needs? Something like Offline List but uses Good Tool naming would be great. Sorry to act like such an ass, just trying to delineate my frustration. Thank you all for your time.
daveee65
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:59 am

Wow, you really are some kind of frustrated cat.
Take it easy Maan & stay off the pills :wink:

Whatever you might think of it, most of us here know Gamebase is a much under-rated frontend. It is actually a very powerful multi-platform front end, which sure, might have one or two foibles but at the end of the day, if there is something about it you would like to fix, it's open source, so get on with it!

Right, now I've got the bitching over with (which I personally find very distastful), let's get to helping you out.

First, I realise you want to get ALL the Snes games running, but why not try Gamebase SNES first. It's not the full set, but hey, it contains all / most of the best games and it will get you going. Check out the thread under the Nintendo SNES (GameBaseSNES) forum, that's what it's there for. The related website for the downloads is http://lostinconsoles.com/snesgamebase/index.htm

Regarding your specific Romcenter import problem;
A similar problem to this has come up before. Check out the threads:-
* 'Impossible to import recent romcenter datafile 2.5'
* 'All ye with Romcenter Import troubles please read... '
* 'importing romcenter 2.00 dat (amiga games) '

In particular, the problem associated with last thread sounds very similar to yours. To be honest, we just weren't able to sort the problem back then, but I was able to take the same romcenter file and import it myself. In fact, I have imported a SNES romcenter file myself and imported it into gamebase, so it is definitely possible :)

Back when we were looking at the Amiga problem, it seemed to me that the problem only occurs on some machines. I haven't a clue why, but why don't you try importing on a different machine yourself. As I say, I have the SNES romcenter based Gamebase file myself, so if you still can't get it, I might share it with you.
Well, I say MIGHT... ...you're going to have to start being nice first.

Now to the screenshots.
Thanks for the link to http://www.screenshotarchive.com B.T.W. - very good :D
You never mentioned whether you have single, or multiple screenshots for each game. In Gamebase, screenshots have to be named according to either of two conventions. When I produced Gamebase SNES, I preferred to give titles and in-game shots the same name, but keep them in separate folders.
I might be wrong here, but I don't think Gamebase automatically detects screenshots like Mame32 for example. Gamebase uses an access style database, so the screenshots need to be individually inputted for each game. If you have MS Access and all your screenshots are the same name as your games, there is a shortcut to this.
* Open the database in Access and open the Games table
(you may need to convert the database to an Access 2000 file, or higher first)
* Select the entire Filename column, copy it and paste it into the ScrnshotFilename column
* Now wit the ScrnshotFilename column highlighted, globally replace all instances of '.zip' with '.png' (or what ever you have used for the format of your screenshots.
* Hey Presto

Good luck,
Daveee

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”