Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

What is the best C64 emulator out there?

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Magnate
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:09 am

Running Hoxs64 on an old machine might be an unpleasant experience. Unlike VICE or CCS64, it features cycle accurate sprite/in-line gfx data updates, and this contributes to the minimum CPU requirements.
joebucci
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:43 pm

I agree, but it runs pretty good on my "newer" machine. VICE is still the best IMHO.. WinVICE-Plus based on ver 1.22. I find that the NTSC emulation is "required" for some of MY stuff anyways.

Cheers!

AMD Athlon Duo Core
64X2 3800+
160GB HD
2GB RAM

;)
Joe Bucci
Magnate
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:00 pm

Michael Plate wrote:If David would implement some startup command line options into Hoxs64, we could start supporting it in GameBase.

/Michael
From Hoxs64 v1.0.5.17 release notes:
3) Added command line options.
example:
hoxs64.exe -quickload -alignd64tracks -autoload "c:\games\games.d64" 5
This will auto quick load program 6 from the file games.d64. Aligned tracks will be used.
I'm looking forward to the updated GEMUS script.

Btw, the original version of Frido Mc Frog works in Hoxs64. I also tried it on a real C64, and it works there fine too.
Maan

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:48 am

Magnate wrote:
3) Added command line options.
example:
hoxs64.exe -quickload -alignd64tracks -autoload "c:\games\games.d64" 5
This will auto quick load program 6 from the file games.d64. Aligned tracks will be used.
I'm looking forward to the updated GEMUS script.

Btw, the original version of Frido Mc Frog works in Hoxs64. I also tried it on a real C64, and it works there fine too.

Just registered on the board just to share my simple GEMUS script for Hoxs64 (latest version):

;default GEMUS script and template
;
;********************************
;* EMULATORNAME GEMUS Script *
;* *
;* DAY MONTH YEAR *
;********************************
;
; PLEASE SET YOUR EMULATOR PROPERTIES AS FOLLOWS:
;
; Emulator File: FILENAME.EXT
; Associated Script File (#): FILENAME.EXT
; Use Short Filenames: YES/NO
; File Types: EXT1;EXT2;ETC...
;
; This script was written for EMULATOR_NAME vX.X,
; but may work with other versions too.
;
; Emulator Website: FTP_OR_WEBSITE

Add_CLP2( -autoload %gamepathfile%)
Run_Emulator()
joebucci
Keen Member
Keen Member

Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm

Hey! The latest version of Hox64 allows for some command line options! - I've set up 2 shortcuts using the options. If I "Drag" a d64 to the "quickload" icon, it works with a lot of games. I also made one that starts in "True Drive" (The default) emulation for programs that need it.

Thank you David!

JB
Joe Bucci
Illapse

the best c64 emulator

Sat May 31, 2008 4:09 pm

VICE is the best.
CCS64 is a very close runner up.

both will play the games you wish

keep VICE on PAL if you experience frame 'quick skipping'
mess with sound buffer on VICE if you get 'fuzzy' sounds during emulation

i went nuts a few years back trying to locate a two disk working version of PSI-5 and of course by now we all have it... i think!
later.

commie4life
illapsed by...
the mutilator
...of 'course!
NLS

Sat May 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Illapse you have to check out HOXS64... (which in fact is also the most active in development of the three currently - VICE is next to dead I think)

I'd say CSS64 MIGHT be more "precise" than VICE too, but that nagging screen is making my brain work backwards (and I am sure many), I might send some money to the author (he deserves it), but now with that screen "forcing" me to do it...
---
NLS
gklinger

Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:16 am

It's nice to be spoiled for choice. We Mac users only have VICE and an emulator called Power64 which is nice but it's very old and lacks a lot of the modern features that VICE has.
Call me Golan; my parents did.
iAN CooG
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:29 am

NLS wrote:VICE is next to dead I think
Absolutely not. Vice and VicePLUS teams were hyperactive latest months, check the sourceforge pages. It's true that an official Vice distribution is from many months ago, but while you wait for Vice, you can download VicePLUS, there are many improvements, most of them will be in the official Vice sources too.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/viceplus/
http://viceplus.wiki.sourceforge.net/
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC^C64Intros ---=[]=-
NLS

Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 am

It's good because VICE is my long time favorite.

On the other hand by "hyper-active" you mean that they registered that sourceforge project space (with nothing inside)? Well indeed it is "action" but not anything spectacular. :D

I know about VICEPlus (completely by chance a few months ago)... why don't the two teams cooperate, after all VICE is open source.
---
NLS
iAN CooG
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:37 am

NLS wrote: On the other hand by "hyper-active" you mean that they registered that sourceforge project space (with nothing inside)? Well indeed it is "action" but not anything spectacular. :D
:? If you don't even check the sources and/or download viceplus you will never know. There are so many differences from official vice 1.22 that I can't count them.
http://vice-emu.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vice-emu/
http://viceplus.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/viceplus/
I know about VICEPlus (completely by chance a few months ago)... why don't the two teams cooperate, after all VICE is open source.
They are already coop, one member is in both teams and there are already "rumors" of both teams joining together at a later time, because duplicating the effort is only wasting everyone's time.
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC^C64Intros ---=[]=-
NLS

Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:36 am

nice, thanks for the info
---
NLS
Magnate
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:58 am

NLS wrote:I'd say CSS64 MIGHT be more "precise" than VICE too
VICE has been more accurate than CCS64 for a while. Of course, there are a few programs that display/work correctly in CCS64 and not in VICE, but in general CCS64 has more bugs in the VIC, CPU, and most notably SID emulation.

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”