Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

I can't figure it out?

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

candy76man

I can't figure it out?

Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:53 pm

Is there somewhere with step by step instructions for making GB64 work?
I have spent hours reading every faq and readme that comes with everything and I'm just not getting anywhere...I had less trouble learning to use the real thing when I was a kid..lol :lol:
J2003C
GB64 Team

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:33 pm

It isn't spelled out step-by-step, but it is sort-of clear already. Please explain what isn't working for you specifically.
-J2010C-
candy76man

Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:35 pm

Ok...I have three emulators installed and I think gamebase is set up right to use them....but it might not be...I had to use scripts from older versions of the ones I have because that gemus wizard wouldn't see the newer versions?

I have a bunch of games..some are .d64 ,t64 and some are in zip files.

In gamebase it has a huge list of games but it's just a list, no games yet..where do I put all those game files so that they work with that list?

Also, where do i put the screenshots so those show up in game base as well?

thanks
philw349

Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:05 am

Newbie here too. I just got mine working (mostly). The database is only the list of all possible games. You're correct in that you must download the files themselves. I believe the gamebase prefers to work with zip files (but it will also work with the tape or disk image files if told to). What I did was stick them all in a folder called games in my emulator's directory (totally arbitrary choice here).

Under "tools > path" menu in gamebase I told it where they were located (set the path to the games). Then when I found a game in the list that I knew I had, I clicked on "edit > gamefile" then it let me browse my game directory for the zip file. After choosing the correct one, that particular game became playable in the list (the "Play game" button would work).

My only concern (and I was about to start a new thread on this) was why it didn't do this work for me. Unlike Mame, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it to figure out what games you have and automatically activate them in the list. It's a manual process. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I tried the "tools > verify available files" and it didn't find diddley squat even though the games were in the game path I had specified.

I then grouped them into subfolders, a, b, c, etc for the letter they started with. That caused the "tools > verify available files" thing to pick up some of them automatically (but not all).

I got the idea to make subfolders because it had x/gamename.zip on the bottom left for every game I highlighted, where x is the letter it starts with. But some of them were like "b1/billythekid", "b2/burgertime" like it expected some enumerated subfolders. Thats a PITA if that's what it's hoping I'm gonna do. At that point, is where I am stuck. But I got them to play from gamebase by manually setting them.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:58 pm

The reason it isn't automated so that is recognizes your game files is that, unlike MAME, there are probably over 300,000 different game files out there, and we have no intention of logging all of them in. Every time you play a game and it saves a game or hi-score, the file becomes unique and unrecognizable to GB. The GBC only auto-reconnizes the 15,000+ files from the GBC, and no other form of the game files are auto-recognized. If you use any files besices the GBC ones, then you have to manually link them.

Sorry, but there's no easy way around this. The best way to auto-reconize is to use TOSEC game lists.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”