Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Hi guys, I'm new here and to C64 gaming in general

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Demonolith

Hi guys, I'm new here and to C64 gaming in general

Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:46 pm

As you all know there are a ton of games for this system, and I'm having a hard time figuring where to begin. Are there any 'must play' games that you'd specifically recommend?

Some games that I played are:
Rockstar Ate My Hamster - I liked it. It was a colorful strategy/management game with lots of humor. 9/10

President - I really liked the country building aspect. It was a little slow going in the beginning, but I highly liked it. 8.5/10

The Election Game - It was a relatively simple game that was easy to just pick up and play. I enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Battle of Normandy - This was a game that I wanted to like so bad. I can really appreciate the amount of depth put into it, but I feel it was too much for me. Maybe there's a less complex hex strategy game out there. 6/10
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:35 am

Click the GBC tag at the top of the page and you'll get a page of "Recommended Games". If you've downloaded Gamebase64, then there are the "Classic" games that are all worth playing. And my book on Commodore 64 games lists many more.
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Oh wow, there are sooo many great games for the C64 that it would take too long to tell them all to you, but two games off of the top of my head that I'd recommend are M.U.L.E. and Paradroid.

M.U.L.E. (published by the still-existent Electronic Arts) is maybe the most unique game you might ever play. Defying genre, it's never been duplicated. It's a big laugh too with whimsical graphics and sound and wacky humor.

I don't know the current status of netplay on C64 emus, but it's definitely a game you'd not only enjoy playing against the computer but also with your friends (up to four players).

Paradroid is an innovative arcade-type game that takes skill AND smarts. I mean it's like it's not just a game, but it turns your (emulated) C64 into a remote-control station for your droid infiltrating a ship far, far away in deep space. It contains thorough records of the ship's floor-plans and overlays for your benefit.

It's a *beep*load of fun! And it's quite challenging too--I still have yet to clear out that ship!

Hmm...OTOH there's also The Master of Magic, another game that's rather unique. And OHH if they only made games like that these days anymore! It's a graphical Adventure game that is, in a nutshell, complexity simplified. You choose your actions from menus with a joystick (or emulated substitute), doing all that you need to do in the game easily.

It features superb, primo graphics (I mean by C64-standards, obviously) and super-excellent music. The music is so good that I would sometimes just let the game run the music in the background while I did other things, just listening to it play.

And speaking of Adventure and RPG games, there's Pool of Radiance. When it comes to pure Adventure/RPG games (i.e., barring like Action-RPGs, MMORPGs, et al), this one is no less than the greatest I've EVER played! I *beep* you not! The only other Adventure/RPG that I can think of that's ever came close in terms of quality is Betrayal at Krondor [DOS]. Yes, it's really that good!

It features excellent graphics, but--since it is an Adventure/RPG after all--what makes it so great is that it's totally, 100% based in AD&D (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons), and that to the "T". Somehow they managed to stuff all those particular, specific rules of AD&D into Pool of Radiance, and by playing, you might wonder why you ever bothered with graph-paper, pencils, and Dragon Dice hehe LOL Add to that an easy-to-manage control-interface and you've got a gaming experience you'll never forget!

Whoops! I said two games but gave four--I get carried away hehehe LOL

Oh yeah, welcome! :D
8BitBrain

Re: Hi guys, I'm new here and to C64 gaming in general

Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Demonolith wrote:As you all know there are a ton of games for this system, and I'm having a hard time figuring where to begin. Are there any 'must play' games that you'd specifically recommend?
My all-time fav is Impossible Mission.
Are you running the GB64 with the frontend? If so I could use a little help setting mine up.
THANKS !
John in Ohio
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:38 pm

8BitBrain wrote:[...]I could use a little help setting [my GameBase64] up.
THANKS !
Hehe Nice screenname! I wish I'd thought of that one first hehehe

Sure, maybe I can help. What's your question?
8BitBrain

Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:54 pm

The Lord of the Flies wrote:
8BitBrain wrote:[...]I could use a little help setting [my GameBase64] up.
THANKS !
Hehe Nice screenname! I wish I'd thought of that one first hehehe

Sure, maybe I can help. What's your question?
THANKS ! I seem to have the ccs64 running properly as I can manually load my programs, but I am confused about the frontend loader. I dl it and can run it, but MY games arent in it.

Is there a step by step for adding my games?
Thanks, John
The Lord of the Flies
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:27 am

Ah! It seems that .mad. has begun to help you in this thread:
http://www.gb64.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ght=#18165
Let's continue this discussion there hehehe

Return to “GB64 Help!”