Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Using Gamebase help required...

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Sonix

Using Gamebase help required...

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:21 pm

Hi guys!

I'm just trying to setup a Gamebase with my Atari ST disk collection. I know somebody is working on a gamebase for ST, but I think I will do my own.

So: I created a new DB and started to add some disk images. BUT - many discs contains several games - so what should I do? Putting several entries into the database pointing to the same disk file? Then I stumbled over a problem. I wanted to remove an entry from the database. If I remove an entry, the disk file is also deleted! Is there an alternative way for doing this? If not I think an option is required to just delete the database entry and keep the disk image. I encountered another problem: How do I rename a game? Lets say I'm detecting a typo at a later time... I can tune a lot of things - but I didn't find anything how to rename it! The only way I found was to delete the game (which deletes my image file) and reenter it - there must another way to do this. Please help..

Thanx
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Re: Using Gamebase help required...

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:27 pm

Sonix wrote:I wanted to remove an entry from the database. If I remove an entry, the disk file is also deleted! Is there an alternative way for doing this? If not I think an option is required to just delete the database entry and keep the disk image.
After pressing DEL to delete an entry make sure not to select any filename before pressing the REMOVE button.
Sonix wrote:I encountered another problem: How do I rename a game? Lets say I'm detecting a typo at a later time... I can tune a lot of things - but I didn't find anything how to rename it! The only way I found was to delete the game (which deletes my image file) and reenter it - there must another way to do this. Please help..
Simply left click on the game name.

Hope that helps,
Michael
Sonix

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:32 pm

Thanks for the quick reply..
After pressing DEL to delete an entry make sure not to select any filename before pressing the REMOVE button.
Just found this myself a few seconds ago... silly me.
Simply left click on the game name.
Hmm. A single left click does nothing. A double left click starts the game. Should it work like in the Explorer? This doesn't work here. I also pressed F2, but the Keys-Value dialog pops up.

Sonix
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:52 pm

Right-click on the game name to rename it.
-J2010C-
Sonix

Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:57 pm

That was the first I did. A menu appears - I can see no RENAME, EDIT or something like this. Are we talking about the same program here? I talking about Gamebase v0.95 - the frontend...
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:09 am

Sonix wrote:
That was the first I did. A menu appears - I can see no RENAME, EDIT or something like this. Are we talking about the same program here? I talking about Gamebase v0.95 - the frontend...
You have to click on the bold name displayed in the game details (toggle with CTRL+D) not the name in the list!
Sonix

Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:43 pm

You have to click on the bold name displayed in the game details (toggle with CTRL+D) not the name in the list!
Thanx for the clue..

ARRGH! That is a bad user interface! There should be a visual clue that clicking on an item will give you editing posibilities. If things are printed "black on grey" this is regarded as "static text" - no editing possible. I don't even move the mouse over it. Why can't I edit the item in the list? - like everyone is used to (from Explorer and similar programs). Why is there no "rename" entry in the context menu? Perhaps you should take a look into "user interface guidelines" - people are used to a certain "look and feel" and programmers should stick to it. I'm a professional software developer and know what I'm talking about.

Just take this as positive critisism: the program seems to do a great job - but is bit overloaded with features and lacks a consistent and intuitive interface.

Sonix
Gu

3 cheers for finding the rename game dialog!

Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:18 pm

It's possible that GB will be going open source soon, so you can implement all the "user interface guidelines" you wish!
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:03 am

The interface really isn't bad at all once you get used to it. The GameBase Team has gone through many versions of the interface, so many of the features have changed, which is even more confusing! In older versions, clicking on any field at the bottom automatically opened the edit form for that particular field, but the new version is more geared towards end users, not editors. So clicking on a field does a search (or filter). Right clicking is for editing. No interface will make everyone happy, but trust me that this one is a great interface with tons of improvements over any previous version.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”