Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

What do you do if the game downloaded needs a joystick?

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Bob_the_German

What do you do if the game downloaded needs a joystick?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum and can not believe what is here!

This morning I downloaded a recomended Commodore 64 emulator with no problems and downloaded "Space the Ultimate Frontier". Everything is working great!

Here is my question, how does one go about using a game that requires a joystick? Is there a modern game controler for desktops or laptops that one can get to use in place of the joystick or is there a computer function that I do not know about? I try and use the normal cursor keys with no luck.

I am sure that I am not the only one to ever encounter this problem. Thanks for putting up with a beginner question such as this.

Bob
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:42 pm

If you are using Windows, then most game controllers that Windows can recognise will be picked up by the emulator. Go into the Settings menu, under Joystick settings you will find a drop-down menu for port 1 and port 2 - your controller should be listed in there. (If not, use the Windows Control Panel > Game Controllers to check Windows is "seeing" it and recognising it as a game device).

Or you can reconfigure the keyboard to be a joystick. Again, in Joystick settings there are four options - the Numpad and Right CTRIL, Cursor keys, Keyset A and Keyset B. Click at the bottom on either Keyset A or Keyset B to redefine it, clicking next to each direction and then pressing a key to make that direction/function equal that key.

Return to “GB64 Help!”