Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Saving - VSF files

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Haakon

Saving - VSF files

Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:19 am

When playing f.ex Thrust, i would like to have the hiscores saved.
Is the only solution to use the Snapshot funtion in WinVice? :?:

The problem here is that i am getting a VSF-file. Is there any way that this can be loaded and run from the gamebase? I have tried to make that file as an "Extras", but it does not recognise the VSF-format.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:23 pm

What is "f.ex Thrust"? If you mean "for example Thrust" then Thrust has a built-in hi-saver. Use it.

If you want to use .vsf files to save hi-scores, then use the GameBase Re-Zip option in the menu Tools->Options->Games/Screenshots
Select the box next to Re-Zip un-zipped games after playing (if changed)
You can unselect the other 2 boxes if you want, but make sure you select "Rezip them" for "When there are more files to Rezip than were unzipped". This will save the .vsf file back into the game's zip file.

You still have to remember to save the .vsf snapshot file and also to load the .vsf snapshot file after GB launches the game.

If you want GameBase to auto-load the vsf file, then do the above steps and also do the following:
Create and save a vsf snapshot for your game with Rezip on.
Set GB to load the vsf image instead of the t64 or d64: goto the menu GEMUS->1.WinVICE (or whatever your Windows VICE line says). Add ";VSF" to the Supported native file types. Also edit the line that says "If GameType CONTAINS(d64||...||prg)" to read "If GameType CONTAINS(d64||...||prg||vsf)" and click OK.
Now after you have saved a vsf, in GB click on the zip filename in the botom left corner. You should get a list with the d64/t64 images and your vsf image. Select the vsf file and click OK twice. Now GameBase will auto-launch the snapshot every time you play. Just be sure to save your snapshot with the same name every time for that game (i.e. overwrite it when saving the snapshot by clicking the existing .vsf file in the save list).

I don't know why nobody has thought of this before! It's quite useful for those who use VICE all the time. I'll have to look into finding an equivalent for CCS64 , which doesn't save it's snapshots to the rezip folder by default.
-J2010C-
Haakon

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:35 am

Thank you for your kind answer. That was exactly what i wanted to to! I will try it out as soon as I can. If i have understood you right, then the autoload-function you describe will in theory make it possible to save the hiscore for all of the games. That is very useful.
What is "f.ex Thrust"? If you mean "for example Thrust" then Thrust has a built-in hi-saver. Use it.
The problem is that i don't know how you use it in Vice. Because nothing save's to the original GB-file. But it is of minor importance if this is working (autoloading vsf-files).
Haakon

Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:41 am

One more comment:

I may be more useful to make the autoloading hiscore-file-game as an Extras. Then you don't destroy the original file (and setup).
Gu

Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:15 pm

It worked. On my Extras, i can now start a savegame-game (automatic).

Is there any solutions for an autosave of the VSF-file when quitting WinVice?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:10 pm

Autosaving a vsf snapshot is not a VICE feature, but even if it were, it would save to the default directory the same way the quick snapshot does. You have to save to the rezip folder (manually) for GB to be able to save the file in its zip file.
-J2010C-

Return to “GB64 Help!”