Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Can I use the Arnold games?

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gu

Can I use the Arnold games?

Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:41 pm

Hi,

I have started downloading the whole Arnold archive (I've already got quite a lot of it, but I should realy have a full set of games to match the GB database), but I thought I should try a few games before I got too far with the downloading. I did the "Verify available files" option and selected "games". It didn't find any of the games. :?

I tried to manually set-up the first game (1000 Miglia) which didn't work - after the intro it just gave me a flashing cursor. :?

I have just installed eMule and chose the three GB CD files, but after half an hour I have managed to get a total of 12K on CD1 and 240K on CD2. CD1 has stopped now and CD2 is downloading at an incredible rate of 0.4K/Sec (16 days to go till it finishes!). :shock:

Am I right in thinking that I have to, either:

1) run eMule every day for several months to get the files,
2) download each game separately from the GB site,
or
3) manually set up every Arnold game

If so, why on Earth doesn't GB support the Arnold archive? As far as I know, everyone who knows anything about C64 games will know about Arnold and will probably get their games from there, so it is beyond my understanding that is wouldn't be supported. The HVSC is suported, and I would say that Arnold is the game equivalent.

This just doesn't seem right. Is there something I don't know about?

Apart from the game problem GB looks really useful and I've been playing the HVSC through it all day :D

Paul.
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:02 pm

Arnold is:

1) Non complete
2) Many non working images

It's also because the GB64 database is setup to only recognise the GB64 naming format too. So yes, if you want to run games through the interface, you'll need the games CDs. Try BitTorrent instead...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Gu

Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:03 pm

Thanks for the info. If it will be compatible, have more games and they will all work, then it will be worth the wait :)

I am currently using the Retro Gamer version of GB. Should I upgrade to the latest one from this site?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:42 am

The one from RG is pretty much complete, but I believe is "neutered" in terms of some functionality (you'll have to ask James or someone closer as they did the specifics) and content of the database. So I would recommend getting the one from here for the "full" experience. Uninstall the old one beforehand though! The RG one is really a taster to get people interested mainly... and you couldn't have a big article on GB64 without having something on the cover CD.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Return to “GB64 Help!”