Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Saving a game in progress

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

Ti
Tim

Saving a game in progress

Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:27 pm

I have a feeling there is a simple answer to this, but anyway ...

I am playing a game (King Solomon's Mine) that has a save option for a game in progress. How do I do this, and where do I point the game to retrieve a game?

I am running Gamebase V2.0 and CCS64 V3.0 Beta 1.4. Awesome software by the way ... well done!
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:18 pm

You have a couple of options here:

1) In the GB Options menu under Games/Screenshots, enable "Re-Zip un-zipped games..." Then when you save the game (in-game save), it will be saved in GB and available for you to load (in-game) the next time you play.

2) Again, enable Re-Zip, but make sure the last option toggle is set to "Rezip them". You can now use the emulator freeze function (called a State in CCS64 and Snapshot in VICE) to save a game. When you restart the game (with GB), use the restore/load freeze feature to continue.
-J2010C-
Gu

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Thanks heaps for your help so far.

I have gone with your Option 1, however I am unsure what to choose when the game says "Save to cassette or disk (C/D)?" Either way it hangs.

Is there something in Gamebase or CCS that I have to change so it reads from the disk?

Thanks again.

Tim
J2003C
GB64 Team

Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:27 am

Well, that's not to hard to fix. The game expects a disk or tape, and a T64 image is neither! Tape (tap) images are impracticle due to their size, so you need a d64 image. If you know how to do it, you can copy the prg from the t64 onto a d64 and set GB to load that. If not, then before you save for the first time, insert a d64:

VICE: ALT+8 then type a fileame (like "savegame"), click create then click attach.

CCS64: ALT+8, scrol down to "(DIR) ." and hit F1 (in CCS64 v2.0 you can rename the file). Esc then ALT+8, select the file ccs0.d64 and hit F4.

When you close the emulator, GameBase's GEMUS will ask if you want to save (ReZip) the file(s), so select all files. When you run the game next time, just select the t64 image when GB prompts and select the d64 disk image before restoring game.
-J2010C-
Gu

Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:34 pm

I AM SO CLOSE NOW!!!

I went down the CCS64 path that you outlined. It did everything you said it would, right up to "When you run the game next time, just select the t64 image when GB prompts and select the d64 disk image before restoring game."

I don't think I am selecting the d64 image right, cos it keeps coming up with the opening screen every way I try. I have tried selecting it when the game asks me to restore a saved game, but do I then select Y and then select D for Disk? Or do I go into the game and do something in there?

Thanks so much for your help J2003C, it's been about 15 years since I have played this game and I'm busting to finish it!!!
J2003C
GB64 Team

Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:21 pm

You are using the in-game save routine, so upon restarting then game, you select "Y" when asked if you want to restore a saved game and "D" for disk. It then asks you to "press return when data disk ready," then that is when you have to select the d64 file (ALT+8, scroll to the d64, press F4). Your saved game should come back. I tried it, and it works for this game.
-J2010C-
Gu

Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:21 pm

It must be something wrong I am doing at my end ... it just hangs on "READING DATA" forever, regardless of whether I choose the d64 before or after I "press return when data disk ready".

Oh well, I'll keep fiddling around with it. Thanks heaps for your help J2003C, really appreciated.
Gu

Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:48 pm

Forgot to mention ... I gave your STATE option a go, and it crashed the Gamebase. :cry:

Thanks for your help though.

Return to “GB64 Help!”