Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Can someone tell me how do do this on the c64 please

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

stanstimer
Keen Member
Keen Member

Can someone tell me how do do this on the c64 please

Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:08 am

Hi..

Sorry if this is a noob question but how do I transfer games from tape to disk on a real c64.

Is there a utility I can run to load games from tapes and save them to disk. I have an XA1541 cable to connect my pc to my c64 if there is a utility out there that will do this or is there a small prog I can type in that will do it.

Many Thanks.

S.Stimer.
Gu

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:52 pm

star commander is the program you need to transfer disk images over to real disks, ptap is the program to transfer tap images over to real tapes.

to copy tape games to disk on a real c64 the best thing to use is a action replay cartridge although this will only work on single load games
Bithunter

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:16 am

I remember Freeze Frame cartridge can transfer games with novaload (multi part games) from tape to disk. Probably it doesn't work with all games, especially with the new ones...
Gu

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:13 am

There is a program called mtap (I think) which lets you play tapes into special .TAP files which can then be used on emulators. The tape program itself then loads exactly as it would on the emulator as it would if you "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" on the original C64! (You can cheat a bit on the emulator though and speed up emulation to get the tape to load faster though!)

Star Commander is one of the best tools for dealing with Commodore disk drives.

1581Copy is great if you have a 1581 drive or a CMD-FD2000 3.5" floppy drive (it's what I use), because then you don't have to fuss about with cables and hacking your 1541. A special image editor lets you manipulate emulation partitions on copied CMD-FD2000 images to make D64s.

Most of the conversion programs for the C64 run off a DOS environment, so you might want to fish out a Win98 machine from a second hand shop.

Return to “The GB64 Website”