Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Download of Game Requires password???

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

damcdono

Download of Game Requires password???

Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:41 am

I'm trying to download Ripper! I can get it from the one download site, but this version seems to be messed up because many of the commands do not work or worked initially and no longer do...

the Sabid UK download site requires username/password info...how do I get that version?

also, on text/adventure games with a syntax parser is there a way to look at the source code to see what commands it would recognize??? I"m beginning to play a game that I never beat when I had a c64 in the mid-80's so I don't remember all the commands nor do i have an instruciton manual....

any help would be great!!
d-mac
J2003C
GB64 Team

Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:20 am

This is unbelievably vague. Are you using CCS64 or VICE with True Drive Emulation set to on? If the game does not work, please be more specific, since all games were tested before getting into GameBase, and we would like to verify errors so as to get a working version without the same problem.

Source code: is is BASIC or ML? If it is BASIC, then hit run/stop (esc) until you get to a prompt and then type list. If it is ML and you have to ask how tyo view it, then you probably would not know how to use the viewer probram. What's the name of the game? Maybe we can help.
-J2010C-
damcdono

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:35 pm

The game is "Ripper!" a text adventure game...

forgive me for my limited understanding, I just really wanted to play the game, I'm not a programmer just a novice who owned the C64 in the 80's and loved some of the games...

I'm using CCS64...the game does work, however, certain commands outside of the N, S, E, W directional commands do not work, the "get" command "talk" command etc do not seem to work....In the case of the "get" command it did work when I initially downloaded the game but when I last used the game it would not...because of that I thought that perhaps the game I downloaded had been corrupted b/c it was not working properly and re-downloaded it to try again and it still does not work...the "talk" or "ask" commands did not work at all, though I know from playing the original game on the c64 that these commands existed in order to interact with other characters...

I have a suspicion that I did something to corrupt the game since it seemed to get worse over time, however, I have no idea how I could have done that

There is the chance that I"ve simply not got the commands right, but I'm 99.9% certain that after using the N command to enter the mansion placing you in the foyer if you type "get clipping" in order to pick up the newspaper clipping on the floor this should work...although in my version it does not seem too

I'm sure I'm rambling...It's difficult for me to explain except to say that certain commands that should work return a "I don't know how to 'get clipping'" type response from the game...I've tried every other word i can think of as commands with no success...

thanks
d-mac
damcdono

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm

I was using a beta version of CCS64, I changed to CCS64 2.0 and the "get" command works again...the "talk" or "ask" commands needed to interact w/ characters are still not working or I'm just incapable of figuring them out...

please help!
d-mac
J2003C
GB64 Team

Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:47 am

CCS64 v3.0 will work if you use true drive emulation. In CCS64, use F2 to "Run (Normally)" in stead of run fast. This will probably solve the wierd problems you are getting.

To talk to characters, use "help."
-J2010C-
damcdono

Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:23 pm

thanks very much!!!!
d-mac

Return to “The GB64 Website”