Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

The Luscher Profile, by Mindscape

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

gnarlman

The Luscher Profile, by Mindscape

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm

I had a game when I was a kid called “The Luscher Profile” by Mindscape. It is a mind-blowing psychological test based on preference of colors and shapes. I had since messed the disc up so bad by trying to copy it when I was a teen. I found the software brand new on ebay and bought it. I have 2 1541 drives, but one has the motor continually running and the other wont write or format, only read. I get the game to work, but it can’t save.

What I really want to do is find someone in the San Diego (or Southern California) area who has the setup to convert it into a .d64 image. I do not want to go through the trouble and hassle of getting my drive repaired, or buying a new one, and then buying the transfer to pc cord, etc.

I was hoping that someone here might be able to steer me into the direction of someone that may know how to locate someone in the san diego county area that could help me.

There is a .d64 around the net of the Luscher Profile, cracked by Aschii, but it only goes so far as attempting to read the disc for the results. It says insert luscher profile disc, and the software does not believe the disc is in the drive.

If anyone can help me, when I get the image file, I will send it to you, along with some high quality scans of the actual test booklet. You won’t believe that it is a C64 giving you such profound psych results.

Thanks, in anticipation of some kind of help at all.

Antonio da Rosa
gnarlman

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:56 pm

There is a BASIC language program out there, also, that goes by this name. It isn't what I am looking for. The program I am looking for was part of the Folio collection by Mindscape, Inc., in 1985.

I have searched for the image on the net, with no luck, except for the one that has the note attached that says results don't get pulled up, the one cracked by Aschii.

Thanks again for all of you who read this.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Re: The Luscher Profile, by Mindscape

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:35 pm

gnarlman wrote: I have 2 1541 drives, but one has the motor continually running and the other wont write or format, only read. I get the game to work, but it can’t save.
Hi,

If you can tell me the NAME and ID of the main program disk, i might be able to get it working with the ASCII crack.

the main menu seems to skip the option to create a STORAGE disk as it requests passwords.
But a blank disk with the NAME and ID "TLP,TL" will work.
gnarlman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 pm

.mad.

I will look straightway. If you could get the results part to work, I will be.in your debt. I'll send you and this site the scans I did of the docs and the needed test booklet. I'll go boot it up now and see what the ID is. I know the ASCII crack has the wrong filename for the program, and may have some of the file types wrong (prg, seq, etc). I will double check everything.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
gnarlman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I was wrong about the file types. The ascii crack has all the right file attributes. It does spell the first two files wrong though

block name
1 LUSCHER
9 LUSCHERCHARS

the disk name and id looked like this:

0 LUSCHER PROFILE
65534 2A

the first line had a zero, then started with highlighted quotation marks followed by highlighted LUSCHER PROFILE, then the highlighting stops, and there is no end quotation mark

the 65534 2A is on the next line

I read somewhere on a C64 site that Mindscape had a peculiar type of copy protection, where they had purposely put an error on the surface of the disk or something to that effect.

Anyway, hopefully that will be enough info for you to give the disk and id rename a shot. I think I have a program that can do that too. But please, try to get it to run.

Really again appreciate whatever you can do.

Thanks!
gnarlman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I used DirMaster to try to get it to look like it does on the real disk. I couldn't get it to look the same way.

Here is a pic of what the disk name and id looks like

shoot. it wont let me post a picture yet
gnarlman

Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:35 pm

here is the link for the picture:

h t t p : / / i 4 5 . t i n y p i c . c o m / d r c b a 0 . j p g
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks that helped a lot.

Here's the working version. :D

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c687db5e.html
Last edited by .mad. on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnarlman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:18 am

Thank you so much!
gnarlman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 am

OMG

Man

YOU DID IT!!!!

I can't believe it, that after 20 years this program is running on a PC.
gnarlman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:42 am

The first Luscher I had was actually for DOS on the PC. Since that time, I have done search after search to get the original. There are sites out there that have programs based on the Luscher Profile, like colorquiz dot com, and others. They even have an iPhone app called FLuCT, Full Luscher Color Test, and Dr. Luscher has a website. But nothing rivals the results found in this test. Thank you so much for what you did.

I don't think that I am able to post links yet. But I will try. If I cant post the links, I will PM you them, and would you then please post them here on this post so people can have them to go with the program that you so beautifully got working again?

Directions:
Tests 1-3: Note order of preference for squares from most to least
Tests 4-7: Note preference between horizontal pairs, left or right from top to bottom

How did you change the disk id and name to get it to work? I tried, but failed.

Thanks again, I owe you!

PS: I can also scan the front of the booklet, the front and back of the package folder, and the booklet that came with the software, explaining the techniques employed by Dr. Luscher
gnarlman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 am

Hey,

Take the test, and tell me what you think of the results. I am serious, man, I don't know how it does it. It changes when you have paradigm shifts in your thinking or emotions. There is some unexplainable link between one's preference of colors and their psychological mindset at that time.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks,
It needed your help and description to get it working.

we can all check just how insane we are now. :?

Directions:
Tests 1-3: Note order of preference for squares from most to least
Tests 4-7: Note preference between horizontal pairs, left or right from top to bottom

Here are 7 test cards from the manual

and a new link with the above test pics and luscher program.
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c687db5e.html

Return to “The GB64 Website”