Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

disk sides

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

Ad
Adam Huemer_

disk sides

Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:19 pm

I discovered when a game in the database uses more than one disk side the info says its length is x disks instead of x disk sides.
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:06 pm

Ah, but it will actually be x D64 images in size. So in a way, both are correct! :wink:
Ad
Adam Huemer_

not really

Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:30 pm

cos 1 .d64 image isnt 1 disk, but 2 .d64 images are.
Gu

Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:40 pm

normally, 1 d64 is one disk, but everbody cut that hole out to use the other side, so 1d64=1 disk and 2d64's=one disk both of them are correct.

here means 1 disk is 1 d64.
Ad
Adam Huemer_

hole

Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:13 pm

it's not only that every private user cut a hole to use the backside, important thing is software companies (MOSTLY) used the backside too when their releases were 1+ disk side.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Re: hole

Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:03 pm

Adam Huemer_ wrote:it's not only that every private user cut a hole to use the backside, important thing is software companies (MOSTLY) used the backside too when their releases were 1+ disk side.
Initially disks for the C64 were single sided, single density disks. A few years later when games got bigger and bigger companies started using the second side to save money.

Games from the early times ask you to insert disk 2, newer ones want you to use side 2 or ...

In my opinion both writings are ok but feel free to modify your text.ini file so it displays "Disk Sides", "Disk Images" or whatever.

Bye,
Michael

PS: Why are you using the unregistered forum name with a "_"?
Ad
Adam Huemer_

x

Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:35 pm

cos I forgot my main pw for my browser's password manager. 8)

Return to “The GB64 Website”