Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

The problem with Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

Un
Underfly01

The problem with Ultima IV - Quest of the Avatar

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:31 am

Howdy, can someone confirm to me, if there is only corrupt copies of Ultima 4 on the net, or its an emulator related problem?

I now have 3 versions of Ultima IV and all are unfinishable.

1. ECA Crack (0 Trainers)
2. ECA Crack (with "fixed" Britannia disk from Arnold.)
3. ECA Crack (3 Trainers) from here (Gamebase64)

The problem is, is when you get into to play it, there are certainly items in this game you must collect in order to finish it, yet they don't exist.

Unfortunately the 3 Trainers (ECA Crack), ive downloaded here is the most bugged Ultima 4 ive seen yet, on CCS64 its suffered flaws of simply peering at a gem, and of course missing objects.

I recently have just given up, now I just finished the Apple 2 version of Ultima IV, and I know for sure they are all flawed, it was a pity considering Ultima IV for C64 is the best version of that game of any system.

I can't test them on a real 64 cause I no longer have one, but just
like to know, if its is a emulator related problem, or are they corrupt and we are still waiting for a working copy?
J2003C
GB64 Team

Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:49 pm

Well, without a snapshot (VICE), saved state (CCS64) or a step-by-step walkthrough, it is nearly impossible to recreate any problem in the game without wasting hours. What items are missing and when? How do you get the gem, and what happens when you look at it? A save state would really help us out, since it may be as simple as needing True Drive.
-J2010C-
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:05 am

Or it could be as serious as the Exile problem. So we need to find out :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Un
Underfly01

Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:01 pm

Providing a save-state would be difficult and confusing, as just the way the game is played.

The quickest way to test (Preferly someone whos fimilar with Ultima IV) is quickly start new game, go to town next to Lord British Castle, enter the town (Britain) go west to the Inn, you will see a hallway walk to the very end of it and press S for search.

You should find the Rune of Compassion, but its missing?.. Apple 2, Atari 800, Amiga, Atari STs version are identical to C64's version, And yeah you do the above again, and it works, just the C64 version is unfinishable.

:x
hmj

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:12 pm

I've never had any problems playing Ultima IV on Gamebase with CCS64 (don't remember finishing the game though but items have been found where they're supposed to be).
Gu

Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:29 am

Hi,
I just tried the version of U4 in the gamebase collection. I created a new character and went to Britain. At the end of the hall in the inn I FOUND the Rune of Compassion as described above. Not sure why you aren't finding it, but it did work for me.

John
ae
ae

Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:57 pm

@underfly

you should get the Sextant AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, before messing anywhere else. :!:

Only with the Sextant, you can be sure that the position at which the other user found the RoC is identical to the position where you searched.
Descriptions like "seven steps left from xyz" usually are very vague...

Return to “The GB64 Website”