Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

BUG: Oil Barons

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

Jewser

Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:44 am

In Oil Barons I keep getting a bad Subscript in line 501 on the second side of the game. is there any cure for it? I Missed the game so much I used to play it religiously when I was much younger.

Thanks
Jewser
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:14 pm

At what point/stage in the game does it occur?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:27 pm

...or better:

What steps do we have to perform to see the fault (without having to "understand" the game)?

/Michael
Jewser

Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:41 pm

Once you enter all the particulars (Name, and stuff) you will get the properties...then after that all the options and stuff the First start of the game you are to go to an Auction..that is where the error occurs.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:29 pm

I started one auction and could not see the problem.
Please post a detailed instruction how to reproduce it.
Before that please try a different emulator, enable/disable true drive emulation and also switch between NTSC/PAL to check if that makes a change.

/Michael
Jewser

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:27 am

ok I dont know how to switch emulators, or adjust the truedrive, I did adjust the NTSC/PAL, and it didnt change anything I still came up with the badsubscript in line 501. I even tried re-downloading the game and still each time I get the same error.
Michael Plate
GB64 Team

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:32 am

With switching emulators I mean that you could try the same scenario with a different emulator or emulator version. Which one are you actually using?

Within most emulators you can toggle between fast and normal load which is called True Drive Emulation in VICE. TDE is the more compatible setting which causes longer loading times but better results.

/Michael
merman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Could it be you are trying to sell "nothing"? That could lead to a bad subscript error.
Jewser

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:31 am

I am using the one on this site...I really didnt know their were others available.

As far as the selling "Nothing" in an Auction on Oil Barons,....the Game is to produce an auction if it has properties to auction off, if no properties are to be auctioned, then the game goes right to the first players turn of the round....but it just keeps coming up with the bad subscript in line 501.
but it has nothing to do with the player "Selling" anything...its all the programs doing.
Brataccas
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:33 pm

I know the problem: when asked to switch disks, you are trying to load and run the second disk.

You need to "select" the disk, not "boot" the disk.

If you do this correctly, you should return to the game after selecting the disk, and press a key to continue. You should not see the standard Commodore blue welcome screen.

(This program is written in BASIC, but important data is stored in memory using PEEK/POKE. If you try to load the auction from the second disk, it will run, but none of the variables will be set correctly, so it will error out with a bad subscript in this case)
Jewser

Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:48 pm

Problem Fixed...thanks for pointing that situation out for me.

Return to “The GB64 Website”