Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

gb crashes on win7

Are you having problems setting up GB64 on your machine? Ask your questions in here!

Moderator: Jimbo

roloway

gb crashes on win7

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi, congrats on gamebase. It's brilliant.
Though apparently my new Windows 7 box doesn't like it.
I downloaded the vb6 runtime and windows told me after the install, that it is not correctly installed and asked me whether I wanted to reinstall the runtimes or keep them the way they were. Reinstalling didn't help, so I kept them the second time around.
Installing gamebase itself and the c64 database was not a problem. I installed both into D:\gamebase and D:\gamebase\C64v5 respectively. Starting the gbtoolbox works and I see the c64v5 datafiles in the gbtoolbox window.
Starting gamebase itself doesn't work. I double click gamebase and there is a short sandclock but nothing happens. I fired up the win 7 process manager and eather I could see it under "running processes" and had to kill that process in order to try again or after starting windows itself kicks it out of the running processes. No error messages. It just wouldn't start.
I would be very grateful if anyone of you guys could help me setting it up, it would make my week.
cheers, roloway
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:51 pm

I haven't tested it in Windows 7 yet, but I'm assuming it has something to do with permissions (similar to vista). Perhaps, if it's possible, try to install and run it as Administrator? Or if there is an "XP compatibility mode" then maybe try that.

Maybe someone else who has windows 7 can help more than me, since I'm stabbing in the dark here ;)
roloway

Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Thanks for replying that fast. I tried various compatibility modes and running it as an admin and activation the admin account and running it from there. apparently Microsoft doesn't officially support vb6 in win 7 anymore. I hope anyone else can help. If vb6 really isn't compatible to windows 7, it also would be bad for many other people (especiall the ones who wanna run gamebase ;-) ).
cheers
K.C.
Cool Member
Cool Member

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:15 pm

According to this document, VB6 is supported for all Windows versions up to Windows 7.
roloway

Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 pm

yes, you are right. I saw this one, but didn't read the rest... and misinterpreted this "it just works" compatibility thing (I thought this meant that they will not support it officially). Anyways, I'm still out of luck with my problem. Still no gamebase running on my pc. :-S It worked in xp.
Now I also tried the beta, but no luck.
Pugsy
GB64 Team

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm

I did have problems installing it on Windows 7 - but to be honest I thought that was more down to the fact that I was trying to install it to a subst drive.

As far as I remember I installed it to the same location in Windows 7 as I had it in XP. I then copied over the XP gamebase directory over the Windows 7 gamebase directory.

Works for me, I'm running Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium btw.
Gamebase64 Team Member http://www.gamebase64.com
Ex-freelance cheat listing/pokes contributer to Zzap, CF, CU & ACE
MAME Cheat File Maintainer http://www.mamecheat.co.uk
uman

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:57 am

sad that no one could not help me, but i found the solution for your problem. under windows 7 there is a new feature called "data execution protection - d.e.p.". if you want a working gamebase you need to add it under the d.e.p. make a search in your windows-help and it will point you to that option.
normally the d.e.p. function is useful to prevent apps to execute a code which could harm your system. i am not a programmer, but it seems that the frontend use some code, which windows 7 dont like and thats the reason, why it dont starts.
after doing this, everything works fine and i also found the "Gamebase64v07.zip" torrent. now i am a very happy gamebase64 user. thats a really cool thing, suddenly there is a system in the chaos :D

Return to “GB64 Help!”