Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

GB v1.4 Feature requests

Discuss GameBase, the Universal Emulator Frontend!

Moderator: Jimbo

Jimbo
GB64 Team

GB v1.4 Feature requests

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Thread created for stuff that won't make it into v1.3
James
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 pm

• Add/Edit/Remove Genres
  • Ability to "Tag" games (e.g. "scary", "funny", "war", ...)
  • Allow screenshots to be named _001, _002, _003, ...
  • Better read-only/portable version support
  • Ability to change the filename of a gamefile within the Game Selector
  • Add an "Original price" field
  • Possibility to group collections in the Gamebase selector window and in the Gamebase menu in the frontend
  • Overhaul the "Text.ini" field names so they are all in one place and easier to change for each GameBase
  • when you right click a game in the list you can select "Copy as new game..."
  • UNC network path support "\\machine\path" in Paths.ini
  • Allow sidebar to be on right of screenshots too
  • Add comment, version comment, notes and key=values to the sidebar (and make ditable from there - maybe by right-clicking and selecting "save" from popup menu)
  • being able to filter a view by runnable file
  • Option to have game name in centre instead of far left
Jimbo
GB64 Team

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:59 pm

K.C. wrote:Another idea (not a must to include in the next beta, but probably in the official release):

A button or something else (maybe also in the new side bar) that displays a window with general information about the system used in the current database.
Information shown in this window could be:
  • The name of the emulated system
  • The name of the manufacturer
  • When the system was in production (Year From and Year To)
  • Hardware characteristics (Processor, clock speed, amount of memory, OS, supported peripherals)
  • Text window for facts, comments, trivia, history. Text sould be displayed in a text box with scroll bar, so all information you want to publish would fit.
  • One or more pictures of the emulated system
  • A list of hyperlinks to related websites (for example site of manufaturer, site used as source for downloading roms, links to sites where you can download emulators for the emulated system)
  • Maybe a second tab in this window that displays the credits for the current collection.
    It's now in a tab under help/about screen, it would be more easy to find with a General Info button in the main screen.
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Also to Add/Edit/Remove Controls.

Sometimes finding emulating rare or unusual systems quite limited, having to select a Joystick Port 1 doesn't quite fit it.

Also fields with the (Unknown) (eg. Developer: (Unknown)), can be automatically hidden on certain games when they are not known, and only be showing when a record exist.
Deleauvive

Some Deli-cious features request

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:29 am

Hi again,

I'll get straight to my short list of features request.
Concerning favorites :
Apparently, it is not possible to remove an item from favorites in normal (all games) view.
Could you enable this in the next beta (or the next version), plz ?

In fact, it would be even nicer if we could multi-select (with Ctrl Shift) games to add / remove them from favorites. I should say I don't have any idea about the feasibility of such feature.

Last, Gamebase confirms each added game in the favorite list, I'd like to be able to alter the list without this confirmation msg box if possible (the less I click in GUIs, the better I feel :x ).

Thanx for the upcoming update(s).
Underfly
Keen Member
Keen Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Another suggestion could be a new field named Lives: (from 1-9), proberty fit well in the personal or version tab.
hardmanm
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:59 pm

I'd like to be able to import skins into the GUI to make it look fancy.
Gamebase Developer
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Jimbo,

you've made an xtra-column for : play game,extra,Box-scans,etc...(look screenshot)

Is it possible for gb v1.4 to have an column, wich shows me all Gamebases in a drop-down menue on the "Main-GUI" ? (also "hide-able" like the other new column)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And maybe you can make a Feature (let's call it i.e. "Found all" ), wich "merge" all Gamebases into one....
(merging the *.mdb's)
so the GB lists all Games from all Gamebases simultaneous :roll:

I'll create a Screenshot, for what i mean :wink:

What do you think ? Is this possible ?
(and yes... this ideas are from the Frontend eCC :P )
GB done: Philips VG 5000, Sord-M5, Acorn Atom, Enterprise v1.00
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sat May 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Just another request....
In the Frontend eCC, it is possible to list the Games in an "Image-View".
Is this also possible to implement Gamebase ?
ImageImage

That would be Great !
arthur_gill@hotmaIl.com
Cool Member
Cool Member

a request..

Mon May 10, 2010 10:47 am

From an original post

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:24 pm Post subject: PS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOrgot to say this is running in 'relative path' (standalone) on a winXP sp3 machine with office 2007 ultimate - maxed to the hilt (all options on including .net integration options).

Thought it may be of use to include this infor for a future (ver 7?) release.

I understand there are 2 ways of having an access database ... MDB? (with and without the requirement of a .ldb.. great for running from a DVD!)

any chance of this being included in a future release of Gamebase ??
Just in case the GB team voice the fact that roms (ahem, 'files' ) should not be included on the same disc as the gamebase..., I admittedly do use relative paths, but it is still possible to manually point to the 'files' on a different location from the Gamebase exe.
I would LOVE to have the ability to have a hard backup on optical that I can run from DVD of all (got lots now) of my gamebases and configs, and have my larger (ok, the 'files' ) items on the pc in a raid config...
The atari ST and amiga gamebases are huge, and asde from the ADFs etc I would love to have the full setup on a runnable DVD... those PDF,s and artwork etc ALSO take up space....
Think about thatwith the C64, and ST, and ZX SPectrum gamebases all on a machine....
Backups aside, I would love to have the standalone MDB option implimented.

code follows..

How To Use Microsoft Access Database On CD/DVD
Normally, when you open a Microsoft Access database, a file (LDB) containing record locking information needed to handle concurrent access to the database is created. Obviously this does not work for Access databases hosted from a CD or DVD because they are read-only devices. To resolve this, you must add the following two parameters to your connection string: ReadOnly=1 and Exclusive=1.

Here is an example for use with ASP Classic 3.0 (VBScript):

<%
Dim DSN, conn
DSN = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};" & _
"DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("Northwind.mdb") & ";" & _
"UID=admin;" & _
"PWD=;" & _
"ReadOnly=1;" & _
"Exclusive=1;"
Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
conn.Open(DSN)
%>Here is an example for use with ColdFusion:

<CFQUERY NAME="qrySample"
DBTYPE="dynamic"
CONNECTSTRING="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};
DBQ=#ExpandPath('\')#Northwind.mdb;
UID=Admin;PWD=;ReadOnly=1;Exclusive=1;">
SELECT * FROM tblSample
</CFQUERY>Using this method, you can use Microsoft Access databases directly from your CD/DVD without the need of copying it to the user’s hard drive

Not sure if the emulators would fall over as the emulators would also be on my DVD backup (Seperate from the games (FILES!!!!) being on a C: drive , but the location for the temp cached adf, etc???
Regards,
Arthur.

UPDATE, I see ver 1.3 has the GBGAME temp extraction folder .. very useful, as I now always set that to c:\ or similar.
:)
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed May 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Please add the Feature to creating own/new Genre-Name to the GB v1.4 / Toolbox :wink:
Deleauvive

Sun May 23, 2010 4:18 pm

What about the possibility to right-click on a column header and tick - untick any of the columns title in a pop-up menu :o ?
That would be a faster way to edit View than using the current extra columns menu (or at least allow right-click - unticking to quickly hide columns).
Obviously, it would be even nicer if we could drag and drop columns headers to place each of them to the desired position (or at least allow reordering in the selected columns panel).
Flarp
Keen Member
Keen Member

Sun May 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Hello, I was wondering is their a way to play a video clip in the "splash" folder when you start a gamebase.. I know I can put pictures and sounds there but could I for example put the startup video like on a real Playstation.. for my ongoing Playstation Gamebase project.. also I'd love to do this with my PS2 and other gamebase projects as well.

Currently I have just the PSX startup sound file (though I could get the video if it would work like suggested abive) but the sound is slightly too long.. the list comes up a bit before it''s done playing the whole sound file.. is there a way maybe where I could specify for each gamebase how long it takes/waits for my startup music or video to finish playing? I use VLC for all my video files if that helps. If you think this is stupid or not worth doing I understand but I think it would be cool and make each gamebase even more authentic and true to the actual system(s)

Thanks for your time
Deleauvive

Mon May 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Perhaps in v1.4 I can disable/hide the "add to favourites" option for games already in the favourites list. Also, (add) the ability to remove games from the favourites list, from the main view.
That would be nice.

Also, there's me wishing it'd be possible tot add 'Notes' as an extra column, so that when I export the game list to a text file, I may share all the notes I have attached at once, in the same manner as with any other column data.
About these notes, it seems they get erased from one update to another. Could it be possible to prevent that from happening, please ?

Could it be possible for the gamebase maintainer to enter multiple values in control : Joystick Port 1 AND Keyboard... and display those values of course.

Finally, second the requests which aim at a better portability of Gamebase.

Thanx again for taking into account all these requests !
Vicman
Cool Member
Cool Member

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:19 pm

to remind for Jimbo :wink: :

add a new GEMUS function that kills a running program.
needed for Xpadder / joy2key Application...(maybe other programs, too ?)

something like : Kill_Program(%dbpath%\Joy2Key\JoyToKey.exe)

Return to “The GameBase Frontend”