Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

Upgrading to Windows 10

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

manguan
Cool Member
Cool Member

Upgrading to Windows 10

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:50 pm

Hello everyone.

In the absence of new gamebases... I'm planning to migrate from Windows 7 to windows 10. And then the million dollar question arises: How does GameBase work and what possible problems can be there with this new OS?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by manguan on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
.mad.
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:14 pm

The GameBase frontend should work ok.

You may have problems finding compatible emulators for the older system GameBases.

It might be possible to update and script some of those to use multi-pack emulators MAME/MESS etc.

If you just can't live without the old stuff.
That's definitely something to check before you make the leap.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Think carefully before going that route, it will depend on the age of your PC if its a good option. Older computers are not a good candidate for going over, my i7 (v4) and my GTX750 Ti were ok on it but I talked to a certain dev of an emulator who works in the industry about swapping over and his words were that older machines may have driver issues but if your machine is up to date than its actually not an issue.

I did try it for a VERY short while and found Win 10 annoying as hell, so much that should be out in the open is hidden and there's a list of little processes which so all sorts of daft stuff that need to be turned off before they drive you nuts.

As for performance, very little if no difference, not helped by those silly processes for sound, gamepads etc etc, oh and its push to get you on XBox live is annoying too.

I went back to Win 7 Home edition X64, eventually after the support stops next year I'll reconsider going to 10 but I'll string it out as long as possible..
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....
manguan
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:48 pm

Maybe I have been too optimistic.

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3350 MHz, 8 GB RAM and a GTX 1050 Ti. Do you think they could move windows 10?

Thanks.
Retroplay
Cool Member
Cool Member

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:53 pm

Paul Irvine wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 pm
I did try it for a VERY short while and found Win 10 annoying as hell, so much that should be out in the open is hidden and there's a list of little processes which so all sorts of daft stuff that need to be turned off before they drive you nuts.
Exactly, been there, done that.
Every Win 10 version with the exception of LTSC is a royal PITA to use as a daily driver.

At least on LTSC you don't have to go through hoops to get rid of $¤#/ like Xbox, Edge, Cortana, MS Store, it's not even included (thank goodness!), only IE11 & OneDrive needs to be eradicated by hand.

Also custom settings for applications don't magically revert back to defaults after a bloat.. uhmm "feature" update, because LTSC don't get "feature" updates.
Paul Irvine
Cool Member
Cool Member

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Ah, well its good to now know there's a less annoying version out there so thanks for that..

Glad someone else had seen the utter madness that is Win 10 for the annoyance it can be...
-------
Loved ones are never gone as long as you remember them....

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”