Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

How to search for originals

This is the place for your GB64.COM feature requests and bug submissions!

Moderator: Jimbo

Gu

How to search for originals

Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:38 pm

Hi

Sorry if this is a faq.

I'm mainly interested in original, uncracked games.

Is there a way to search for entries having an original file (tap, d64, g64, crt, etc) associated to them -- i.e. uncracked games?

Or, alternatively, a way to cull/filter cracked games.

I'm a non-Microsoft user, so I'd prefer to be able to do this through the GB64 web interface.
J2003C
GB64 Team

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:58 am

Sure, it is easy to do. Do an advanced search for Cracker/Cruncher contains None, or go to an uncracked game where the cracker is lised as (None) and click on the link (None) to show all 10438 uncracked games.
-J2010C-
Gu

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:45 pm

Thanks for your reply. However, I must have been slightly unclear.

My main interest is the tape/disk protection schemes employed, and so I'd like to be able to search for originals with the protection still intact. Is there a way to do this? Pete Rittwage told me he shared part of his collection of disk originals with GB64 for inclusion in V3.0, but so far I'm unable to find any of the games in the database.

Maybe it's just that I'm unable to properly use the web interface!

Example:

The game at:

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=4909

says something about the 2nd loading screen being taken from the .tap version, which is not in the zip file. Is there any way I can access that .tap file? Am I just clueless about how to properly use the web interface, or is there only one version (namely the .t64 file inside the zip archive)?

Another example: Many Mastertronic original tape games (such as One Man and His Droid) are abundant, however I didn't see any .tap files when going through a selection of some of the low-budget best-sellers. It cannot be that the originals are too difficult to get hold of -- is it because GB64's philosophy is "don't offer the original if we've got a working crack"?

Or am I just too thick to find out how to access alternative versions of the same game through the web interface?

If there's no way to search for games with the protection still intact (apart from sifting through the 10k+ files cracked by "(none)"), is there a way to search for .tap files? .g64 files?
Mayhem
GB64 Team

Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:47 pm

Only the non-originals are available online. If you want to see the originals, you'll either need to go through the database (using Gamebase or whatever) or download the CD with all the originals on it.

Note that all the disk originals ZIP files have the NIB files in them.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Gu

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:27 pm

Just finished downloading the CDs. It only took 4½ days :)

Thanks for helping me out.

Return to “The GB64 Website”