Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

DOS Gamebase

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

CarlosTex

DOS Gamebase

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:32 pm

I have some good news for those interested in DOS games. I'm making a gamebase using the DOSBOX Game Launcher frontend.

The project is well advanced and is not far from being finished.
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Good Job!
I know I have been working on my own for some time now, but it is quite a daunting task. Just out of curiosity, did you use the script released by Vicman here on the forums? And, did you use any specific compilation of games (like the EXODOS collection v.8)?
CarlosTex

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:11 am

No. It is totally reliant on a different program/frontend. For what is worth it is very very good in my opinion, and allows to provide optimal configuration for each title using DosBox. It is an huge task but it's going good and i have now around 2200 titles listed as i speak.

It is based on the DosBox Game launcher. Just google for DBGL and you'll see. That frontend is still in development, but it is already very good and easy to upgrade. It is the optimal frontend for this type of gamebase.

Any more questions please just ask.
CarlosTex

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13 am

As far as compilation i'm using i can't say. I think it is an older TOSEC, but i'm going to add all titles i can find.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Great to hear that. I'm waiting for EXO's FPSes and RTSes, but it may take a while. So Your compilation can make me happy a bit faster. I hope You will add classics, like: Digger, Prince Of Persia.. and it can be easy "upgreadeable". Good luck on it :D
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
CarlosTex

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:41 pm

Well Dax i would like to add pretty much every single DOS game.

Here is a screenshot for your enjoyment:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/64 ... oject.jpg/
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:17 am

Looking good. Will be waiting for release. If You miss something, I can upload some games from "DOS Collection v0.8" :)
List is here: http://www.multiupload.com/SEQED7YAB9
CarlosTex

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks Dax!!! As a teaser i'll let out the information that some games will include iso files so that some CD DOS games releases can be enjoyed in all their glory.

This will make the upload bigger. But... i don't think you'll protest.... :D
CarlosTex

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Also there is another thing. There are a lot of games that repeat themselves because of different names due to market locaion, for instance games released in the US or in Europe. One example it's Formula One Grand Prix (Europe) World Circuit (North America). So only one is kept to avoid repetition.
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:09 am

CarlosTex,

I'm really looking forward to see what you've put together. I'm not surprised about the CD Iso's though. I would expect that you would have to support those if you are going to include any FMV games like 11th Hour, or Black Dahlia.

The only problem with having those cd's is their size.

My database is only partially complete, (even though I have been working on it for about a year). I have completed #, A, and B titles so far. I have just started working on the C titles. My gamebase is comprised of 1727 titles, of which only 33 are clones. In some cases, I have included both the floppy version as well as the CD Version of the game when there was a notable difference in play.

The Database is absolutely huge. The CD's alone account for 45 Gig!

Therefore, I have broken my gamebase down into seperate pieces. My plan was to release these different 'packs' to save on bandwidth for people. Everything will eventually be torrent zipped so that you can grab only the files you'd like out of each pack, or just grab the whole thing if you want. Currently I have a Basic/Commercial Pack, An International Pack, A Shareware/Freeware Pack, and a CD pack.

Becuase There is so much time that will still have to go into finishing this gamebase, it will be quite sometime before I would release a final version anyway. I was going to release it in stages so people would have the database to play around with, but being that both you and .mad are almost done with your DOS gamebases, I think that the hunger of the masses will be satisfied for a while.

All that said, I am really looking forward to checking out what you've got going on with the DOS gamebase, as I can fully appreciate the amount of time and work that has to go into the thing.
CarlosTex

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:37 am

pondo thanks for your reply.

Maybe we can collaborate in some sort, i find amazing that you already reached 1700 games with only 3 or 4 letters. The thing is i'm not repeating games. A lot of games have 3 or 4 different titles when they are essentially the same game. I don't feel it is necessary so there is only one of them there. But i'm trying to include every single title.

I'm not including shareware because like i said i don't think it is necessary as well. I'm working only with full titles. This gamebase is very close to be released so i feel that maybe some people can help me finding missing titles so that i can make this database even more complete.
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 pm

Yes. You are correct about repeating titles.

The way I tried to do it, was to include the most current working version of the game itself. I only included clones when there was a noticable difference in things like audio or graphics. Also, as far as shareware goes, it is important to include some titles that were more popular like all of the Apogee games, or Epic Megagames, for example.

Its kinda funny, but this whole project started for me simply because the wife was not happy about the large mess of old disks in our computer office, so I had to get rid of all of them. Since I was so sentimental about most of those games I grew up playing, I figured "Hey, what better, then to just archive them all in a gamebase". And so here we are.

Of course.... having just the 1000 or so games archived was just simply not enough, when I could also have all those games I had never gotten around to purchasing in my younger days...

:lol:
CarlosTex

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:20 pm

Progress of the gamebase is going great!! I've finished all the titles i had (around 2200) and i'm adding other missing ones. As i speak this compilation is at 29 gigs. 8)
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Have U got account on Underground Gamer ?
It may be neccessary to share :wink:
CarlosTex

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 pm

Yes i have an account. I'm still working on titles that i don't have, setting up instructions for users but it's quite certain that i will release it this month. Hold on guys it's coming. I'm in the middle of exams and work so i don't have full time for this bbut it's coming. Been working on it since January this year.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”