Welcome to the Gamebase 64 forums.                 An attempt to document ALL Commodore 64 gameware before it's too late!

DOS Gamebase

Discuss any other databases that use the GameBase Frontend, whether in pre development, development or publically released.

Moderator: Jimbo

CarlosTex

Sun May 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Hey everyone!!!

Guys i know i haven't been posting anything here but yeah this project has been stopped for a little while. Since i finish my course i'll be putting more hors into this, i've been adding titles hat i didn't had before from the UG collection. So i think even though pondo's gamebase will be more complete my database will, as soon as it is finished, satisfy the most of you and include pretty much everything you would need for a DOS retro experience.

So far database is kickin' 2642 titles for a total of 29 Gigs. BTW, since i have very restricted upload capability i'll probably ask for a volunteer for me to upload to first and then release it publicly. This will ensure that there is another person seeding.
OX
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun May 13, 2012 5:11 pm

CarlosTex wrote:Hey everyone!!!

Guys i know i haven't been posting anything here but yeah this project has been stopped for a little while. Since i finish my course i'll be putting more hors into this, i've been adding titles hat i didn't had before from the UG collection. So i think even though pondo's gamebase will be more complete my database will, as soon as it is finished, satisfy the most of you and include pretty much everything you would need for a DOS retro experience.

So far database is kickin' 2642 titles for a total of 29 Gigs. BTW, since i have very restricted upload capability i'll probably ask for a volunteer for me to upload to first and then release it publicly. This will ensure that there is another person seeding.
More hors, can't wait :lol:
CarlosTex

Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

lol... 8)
eXo

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:45 pm

By the time you guys finish this, both my sets (eXoDOS) and hargle's sets (The DOS Collection) will be done. I've just released my fourth volume, which only leaves action games and then I'll be done. I plan on having that out by spring.

So, I am curious. What are you guys using as your info base? Where are you culling your titles from and getting your release information?
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm waiting for "EXO's FPSes and RTSes" :wink:
Nice to see You here.
I love Gamebase's creators and compilations
eXo

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:42 pm

RTS's came out last year. Where ya been?

lol

So far I have released:

Vol 1: Adventure
Vol 2: RPG
Vol 3 Strategy (there are your RTS's)
and yesterday i released
Vol 4: Simulation\Sports\Racing\Educational

I am now hard at work on my final, Vol 5: Action, which will have all the FPS games in it.

I am predicting a Spring release on it, but I have been known to get carried away... might be ready as early as Christmas.

At that point eXoDOS will be complete and I will move on to the Win 3.1 collection.
hirschjager64

Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:43 am

Hi eXo. I just came across this today. Been a member here for a while. I got all your eXodos packs. I was thinking of asking you if you ever heard
of this DOS project and then saw your comments. :lol:
eXo

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:36 pm

I had heard of it, but i don't know much about it.

The way i see it, Hargle's collection at UG speaks towards collector's by including multiple versions of the same guy, striving to find original media and preserve file dates, etc...

And then my collection is geared more towards playability. So while I still try and use original media and never use rips, I have to crack games sometimes, or run tsr's, or other tricks to get them running in dosbox.

I am aware of a few other dos projects that exist, but I'm not as clear on who they are designed for or what purpose they are designed for. For example, there is one project designed to collect all the scene releases. Considering most of the cd rips had music, movies, and other things cut from them... well, i guess I don't understand who would purposefully choose to collect that, when there are other collections that have the game in it's original version.

There seems to be a lot of people working on dos projects, and I don't always understand their purpose. if there is already a pack that has every available dos game for collectors and another for playing... why would any other's be needed? So, I figured I'd just pop on in and try to understand that, because it doesn't make sense to me that someone would work on a project like this if other groups are doing the same thing and are further along.

If there is a specific reason, then awesome. But if the project is just doing the same thing that has already been done or is being done, then i am confused.
Hidron
Cool Member
Cool Member

Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm

There were a couple of different DOS projects going on here. I don't know if both are still active though.

The aim with the projects here was primarily to have a collection running from the Gamebase frontend. Otherwise, it probably isn't much different from eXoDOS.
I have a lot of respect for Gamebase creators, maintainers & supporters.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:59 pm

eXo wrote:RTS's came out last year. Where ya been?

lol
slept under a stone ;)
of course I accidently deleted vol. 3
I've found that this one contains C&C & KKND, so I'm gonna find it on some tracker, where there is no ratio requirement (too low bandwidth on my side) and re-download
cheers :)
eXo

Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:46 am

As far as I know, they are only on the two trackers i release them on, and both have ratio requirements. if you find it on another tracker, I'd be curious to hear about it. I'd like to see who is reposting my work and make sure they aren't messing with it.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:22 pm

yeah, I'm member on both
respect 4U for great compilations, will be waiting for next one
cheers
dax
pondo198
Keen Member
Keen Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:05 am

Exo,

Your collections was my inspiration for creating a DOS gamebase, but is in no way intended to offend or otherwise steal your work. I can only speak for myself when I tell you the following reason for compiling a DOS Gamebase and I hope this will help to answer your question.

First, I think there is a large community attempt between several individuals at U.G. as well as some other places to compile a comprehensive archive of DOS games. This would be similar to what the MAME developers are trying to achieve from an arcade level. Although your collections are truly masterpieces in their own, I'm sure you will agree that it is virtually an impossibility to collect every known DOS game ever made, and it will therefore be an endless project. This will, of course, mean that people (just as you do) will have to constantly update their collections with newly added media.

The DOSBase collection I am currently working on included many foreign commercial titles that are not included in any of your torrents, nor are they available at U.G, the Underdogs, Abandonia, or many of the other popular sites. There are also some English and American titles missing as well that I have found and added to DOSBase. These titles were found by compiling lists from several sites after scouring the internet for hours upon hours.

Secondly, and maybe most importantly for the GB64 community, DOSBase is utilizing the GAMEBASE frontend to select and play the games. Even though D-Fend is a much proven frontend itself, I think some people will still wish to use GAMEBASE to easily switch between other collections they already have.

Third, the DOSBase collection I am working on currently has included over 75% of the scanned pdf manuals, extra doc sheets, covers, media scans, cheats, walkthroughs, and more that are easily accessed through the gamebase frontend.

This project is intended as competition to your work, nor is it intended to rip or steal from you in any way. This is just a way of presenting people with an alternative frontend to play old DOS games.

I would be happy to share with you anything, including missing titles from your collections, that you would like. After all, it was your collections which had inspired me to even start such a massive project using the Gamebase F.E. in the first place.
dax
Ice Cool Member
Ice Cool Member

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:09 am

eXo wrote:There seems to be a lot of people working on dos projects, and I don't always understand their purpose. if there is already a pack that has every available dos game for collectors and another for playing... why would any other's be needed?
I think it is not so bad. Some ppl started and stopped their work, because of different things. Also I'm waiting for something NOT YET AVAILABLE, like platforms and arcade games (Digger, Prince of Persia, Raptor and maany more of real classics).
Seiya
Commended Member
Commended Member

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:29 pm

i'm working in the free times (maily works is on demobase DOS) on my version of Dos gamebase.
yes, it's another dos games, but small than others. only about 1700 games, commercial games and the cdrom games are only cdrip.
Maybe i don't know if i'll upload it. it's a big archive. more 4 GB.

Return to “Other GameBase Projects”